Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    deem Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 12, 2008, 07:37 AM
    Bathtub can not be snaked
    I have a cape that is about 55 years old. Lo9oks like priginal tub it has been a slow drainer since we ourchased it. But now it is really back up. I use drain open and it helps. I purchased a snake but it would not get through the hole where the tub stopper is. (dosent work). Anyhow any suggestions? When I plunge I hear the noise through the area of the stopper handle. Thank you.

DeeM
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Sep 12, 2008, 08:35 AM
    If you try to plung you must seal that over flow with a wet towel and a lot of pressure. That tub can be snaked, are you using a 1/4" snake or rotary rodder?
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Sep 12, 2008, 10:33 AM
    Remove overflow cover and try snaking through that.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Sep 12, 2008, 11:55 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by deem
    I have a cape that is about 55 years old. Lo9oks like priginal tub it has been a slow drainer since we ourchased it. But now it is really back up. I use drain open and it helps. I purchased a snake but it would not get thru the hole where the tub stopper is. (dosent work). Anyhow any suggestions? when I plunge I hear the noise thru the area of the stopper handle. Thank you.

DeeM
    Hi Dee,
    Looks like you were attempting to snake from the tub shoe (the drain) instead of the overflow(see image). To snake from the overflowUnscrew and remove the overflow plate,(The one with the drain lever) and pull out the tub stopper. You now have a clear shot at the trap. The way you were going in through the drain it ran you square into a tee that you can't get around. Now feed the cable( 1/4" best or 3/3" with a small tip. You can rent a Ridgid K50 sink cable.) About 2' down you will run into the bend of the trap. Crank and push at the same time to work around it. Your blockage will be found in the lateral pipe going to the stack. You shouldn't have to put out more then 10 or 12 feet. I have found tub and shower clogs to be mostly hair and the worm should auger into it and pull it back. Be advised that some older tubs do not have a "P" trap. They have a drum trap,(see image) if that's so you will have to locate the drum trap and open it up and finish snaking from there. Hope this helps and thank you for rating my reply. TOM
    afaroo Posts: 4,006, Reputation: 251
    Ultra Member

Sep 12, 2008, 11:57 AM
    Remove the overflow cover and try snaking through as Harold says see the attach image, good luck.

John
    afaroo Posts: 4,006, Reputation: 251
    Ultra Member

Sep 12, 2008, 11:59 AM
    My picture didn't go through it was the same as Tom's right one
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Sep 12, 2008, 02:34 PM
    Here's a couple more pics. Showing the different ways to unclog the drain.

If using the plunger be sure there is an inch of water or so in tub while plunging and that the tub waste is blocked off with duct tape or wet rags.

Snaking is best.

Good luck...

MARK
    Attached Images

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Kitchen drain will not run. I snaked it 25 ft. [ 9 Answers ]

I ran a snake about 25 ft. did not find a clogg. The only vent on the roof is over the up stairs bath .all the rest of the drains thew out the house run normally

Overflowing & burping tub/toilets already snaked. [ 26 Answers ]

My middle bathroom toilet was burping when we used the shower in there and water would come up out of the tub in our master bath. The shower was draining slowly. We read that it might be the vents on the roof so we attempted to flush those out with a yard hose (water just came up in the showers). ...

No hot water from bathtub [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I do not have any hot water coming from the upstairs bathtub. Cold water is flowing fine and hot water is flowing from the faucet and in the rest of the house. I have taken apart the faucet to check for clogs, but do not see any visible problems. I drained the water heater thinking it was...

Recaulking around bathtub [ 2 Answers ]

Over a period, the sealing material between my tub (fiberglass I think) and my sheet vinyl flooring has gotten ugly. It's still water tight, but very uneven. I'd like to remove the old stuff and replace it with a neat bead of clean new stuff. How to remove the old caulk has me beat, I tried a...

Help! Under the bathtub... [ 1 Answers ]

We are putting in a new tub due to some leakage in the previous tub surround. When we pulled up the tub, the tub drain hooks to a larger drain. The top of this larger drain appears to be open. Is this to vent the drain? It appears that the toilet also hooks to this drain. What keeps the...

View more questions Search