Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sousie Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 11, 2008, 10:37 PM
    Received copy of court documents that I have being sued for debt that was settled.
    Help,

In 2003, I paid of my debt to a collection agency and received documentation from the debt collection company. I just received a copy of court papers stating that I'm being sued by RJM Aquisitons LCC. What do I do? Do I call the Law Firm and asked them for documentation or do I have to get an attorney.

SJ
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Sep 12, 2008, 06:08 AM
    You file an Intent to Defend with the court that issued the summons. In the letter state the reason as this debt was paid off and include a copy of the documents. Send a copy of this letter to the plaintiff requesting that they drop the suit.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Received court summons in my door and have 2 weeks to court date [ 9 Answers ]

I received a summons on my door for a $5,000 debt to american express. Lawyer office is about 1 1/2 from my home... I am willing to pay the debt, do I have to show up for court? I am going to be out of town and won't be around on the court date... can I call the attorney's office and settle the...

Served a summons/being sued for credit card debt/first time being sued [ 2 Answers ]

I have been served a summons by first class mail of a lawsuit against me by an asset collection agency on behalf of a credit card company. The asset company has purchased the debt,in an amount just over $1000. My question is how do I proceed as I have never been sued before. I currently am...

Sued for settled debt [ 5 Answers ]

We settled a credit card debt for less than the amount. They sent a letter saying "final payment for settlement of account received, settled in full. Credit Bureau report will say settled for less than full balance." We will get a 1099-C for the unpaid amount. A few months later, we received a...

Received 1st Interrogatories, Admission of Facts, Request for documents [ 11 Answers ]

In my ongoining credit card case, I received the First Interrogatories, Request for production of Documents, and request for Admission of facts. Can someone give me advice on how to repsond? (I am using the Statute of Limitations defense) Do I title the doument "Response to First...

View more questions Search