Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    French Yankee Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Sep 11, 2008, 09:45 PM
    Dual Citizenship for Son of French Mother Living in USA
    I'm seeking insight on procedures to certify dual French and American citizenship. In the last five years I have sent two letters to the French Consulate General in Los Angeles (when I was living in Colorado) and one to the Chicago office about two years ago after temporarily moving to Ohio. I received no reply. Here are my facts in detail.

1) I do not read, write or speak French yet. (This is a obstacle but should not be relevant);
    2) I was born an American citizen in Ohio in 1951;
    3) My father (now deceased) was an American citizen living in America;
    4) My mother was born in Nancy, Lorraine, France in 1925 to French parents there;
    5) My mother came to the USA around 1945 where she married and later divorced a man who was in her life before my father;
    6) My mother was then with my father and gave birth to me in 1951. (He refused to marry her but it was essentially a common law marriage that ended in divorce in 1956);
    7) My mother has lived in the USA continuously since her original arrival except for a few return visits to France. She is elderly and finds it difficult to return to France due to her heart condition. And both myself and her previous European born daughter live in America;
    8) My mother has NEVER sought or obtained American citizenship;
    9 My mother is developing age-related memory problems that I am afraid might complicate documentation. (She lives in Arizona and I live in Colorado and Ohio.)
    10) I have my Ohio birth certificate as a document showing that my mother was born in France;
    11) My mother's French-born sister and descendants live in the area of Pompey, Lorraine, France.

I have come across numerous brief testimonials by persons on the Internet who have successfully claimed dual French American citizenship under nearly identical circumstances. But I don't yet know how to do it. Notwithstanding the legal issues, I think it should not be hard to understand that I have an interest in my French heritage. I will commit myself to learning the language if and when my dual citizenship is affirmed. I am a writer/photographer and now have enough money to visit France. But more importantly, I will eventually want to live there for at least ten years of my life.

Anyone out there who knows the facts?
    - French Yankee
    hjpan Posts: 902, Reputation: 29

Sep 11, 2008, 09:58 PM
    You can have both French and American...

Since you were born in US, you're automatically US citizenship.
    For the French citizenship, you should take it up to the France Embassy around Colorado. They can give you info.

For me, I'm the opposite.. Was born over-seas and grew up in US.
    lawanwadee Posts: 3,653, Reputation: 124
    Immigration Expert

Sep 12, 2008, 02:31 PM
    Having French mother and born in US, you are entitled to dual citizenship no matter what age you are. Get your birth certificate and other form of ID translated into French, notarized.. including the proofs that your mother is French, when did she relocated to US, etc.

When you are ready, make an appointment to go to the consulate in person. Too many scams this day, as a result, they will not respond if you just send a few letters. If you don't have time, or not familiar with the procedures, get an attorney.
    French Yankee Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Sep 17, 2008, 05:22 PM
    And now to answer my own question. I was devastated to get an email from Sylvie Obert at the French Consulate in Chicago saying:
    "After 50 years without any French document, you loose your right to ask for the French nationality through your French mother.
    As you are born in 1951, you can't be French anymore.
    Best regards"

I guess she means I WAS French but those days are over.
    acrules3 Posts: 76, Reputation: 3

Sep 20, 2008, 07:46 AM

Correct - as to the answer on another post, France gives spmeone 50 years to claim French citizenship from "filiation".

If you can somehow prove you sent a letter before 2001, maybe a lawyer can make a case for you. Good luck with that...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I'm American and want dual USA/French citizenship. [ 8 Answers ]

Hello - I'm new to the site... I'm American, wish to live in France and want to have dual US/French Citizenship. I've poured over info but nothing seems to answer this odd question: My maternal grandmother is from SPAIN. Parents are from Argentina (dad's side are from Italy). Is there an...

French mother was a war bride to American GI but now dead.Dual Citizenship? [ 1 Answers ]

My question has to do with my desire to apply for citizenship to France. I would have dual citizenship (USA and France). In previous posts the indications are by right of blood I can become a citizen because my mother was born and raised in France and she married my father, an American GI. They...

US born, French Father, want dual French Citizenship [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, If anyone can assist me. I am US born with a French father. I have called the French Consulate in Los Angeles (my closest one) and they weren't helpful at all. In fact, I was treated poorly. I am trying to find out the steps necessary in order to obtain dual US/French citizenship. My...

French and American dual citizenship [ 1 Answers ]

Hello - does anybody know if I have any rights to French citizenship if I am a second generation American? My Mom's Mom was born in France, my mom was born in the US. I too was born in the US. Please and thank you for any help you may be able to provide.

View more questions Search