Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    marketing35 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 11, 2008, 04:27 PM
    Thank You Notes and HIPPA
    When a patient refers another patient to our practice, is there a violation of HIPAA laws if we just sent them a thank you for entrusting them with their friend/family by referring them to our practice? Without mentioning names of course, just a general thank you. A colleague felt we were asking for trouble and inferring that we gave out the names. I wasn't so sure that it was a violation or that it would even be taken in a bad way. Obviously we are doing it in a favorable way... my question is 1) are we violating the law and 2) if not, is it a gray area?
    Thanks
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Sep 11, 2008, 04:36 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by marketing35
    When a patient refers another patient to our practice, is there a violation of HIPAA laws if we just sent them a thank you for entrusting them with their friend/family by referring them to our practice? Without mentioning names of course, just a general thank you. A colleague felt we were asking for trouble and inferring that we gave out the names. I wasn't so sure that it was a violation or that it would even be taken in a bad way. Obviously we are doing it in a favorable way....my question is 1) are we violating the law and 2) if not, is it a gray area?
    Thanks

I wouldn't do it - obviously patent #1 referred patient #2 and so #2 knows where #1 is treat but, still, I wouldn't do it.

Don't think it's a violation but think it could open the door to a problem - if you research "HIPAA" here you'll see the bizarre situations people have posted.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Discounted notes vs Interest Bearing Notes [ 2 Answers ]

Sometimes a discounted note is issued rather than an interest-bearing note. Why would a someone do this rather than the standard interest bearing note? What are the pros and cons of doing so? Who would issue a discounted note?

Thank you notes [ 3 Answers ]

Do you send a thank you to someone who came but did not give a gift?

Thank you notes [ 11 Answers ]

My daughter's best friend is getting married, and her prospective mother-in-law gave a Tea to introduce the bride to some of her friends. She did receive some shower gifts at the tea, and thanked each giver in person. Now her mother-in-law to be is wanting to know when she is going to write...

View more questions Search