Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    envyii109 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 11, 2008, 04:08 PM
    Is it possible for an asset to be a liabilty? If so, under what circumstances?
    STUCK ON THIS! Please help its driving me crazy!
    Camborio Posts: 75, Reputation: 4

Sep 11, 2008, 04:58 PM
    Read, Rich Dad, Poor Dad, by Robert Kiwasaki (I think that is how it is spelled). Basically an Asset is something you own that stays or increases in value, a liability is something you own that decreases in value. Off the top of my head I can't really think of anything that would be a liability and an asset.
    ashley568 Posts: 34, Reputation: 3

Sep 11, 2008, 08:20 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by envyii109
    STUCK ON THIS! please help its driving me crazy!
    No its not possible... asset is anything of value owned by the company (cash, prepaids, inventory... ) and have a normal debit balance. Liabilities are when a company owes money (accounts payable unearned rev) and they have a cedit balance.

In case anyone is wondering have taken upawards of 7 accounting classes and am working on a bachelors...
    AdamUTsel Posts: 100, Reputation: 2

Sep 12, 2008, 08:55 AM
    Keep in mind regarding Assets and Liabilities (per the Conceptual Framework)...

Assets have Four essential characteristics:

The probable future benefit involves a capacity, singly or in combination with other assets, in the case of profit oriented enterprises, to contribute directly or indirectly to future net cash flows, and, in the case of not-for-profit organizations, to provide services;

The entity can control access to the benefit;

And, The transaction or event giving rise to the entity's right to, or control of, the benefit has already occurred.

These are not meant for resale.

It is not necessary, in the financial accounting sense of the term, for control of assets to the benefit to be legally enforceable for a resource to be an asset, provided the entity can control its use by other means.

In financial accounting, a liability is defined as an obligation of an entity arising from past transactions or events, the settlement of which may result in the transfer or use of assets, provision of services or other yielding of economic benefits in the future. Individual or group must adopt corporate charter and file it with the state.

They embody a duty or responsibility to others that entails settlement by future transfer or use of assets, provision of services or other yielding of economic benefits, at a specified or determinable date, on occurrence of a specified event, or on demand;

The duty or responsibility obligates the entity leaving it little or no discretion to avoid it;

And, the transaction or event obligating the entity has already occurred.
    Superfly999 Posts: 235, Reputation: 14

Sep 22, 2008, 06:29 AM

Assets CAN have a credit balance such as a contra asset account. However, do to its purpose it is considered an asset account. Also, keep in mind what Adam said; each account type has a purpose its pretty much as simple as that. Finding out what type of account it falls under is the more difficult of the 2, but that's pretty simple most of the time as well :P.
    wingrun Posts: 40, Reputation: 4

Sep 22, 2008, 10:01 PM

How would you describe a 1 year subscription to a newspaper (prepaid subscription)? Can you think of it as a asset that is a liability?
    AdamUTsel Posts: 100, Reputation: 2

Sep 23, 2008, 06:20 AM

If you prepay for something, it is an asset. The value of the prepaid is reduced as you incur (receive) the subscriptions.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Fixed asset or Intangible asset [ 4 Answers ]

Is the U.S. Treasury Note. A Fixed or Intangible Assets.

Liquidation of a limited liabilty partnership [ 1 Answers ]

3 partner share income and loss in a 1:4:5 ratio. First two partners are general and last is limited partner. Before liquidation total assets are 104,000; liabilities are 78,000; partner a capital 1,300; partner b capital 7,475; and partner c capital 17,225 the cash settlement repays all except...

Vice President of LLC legal liabilty [ 2 Answers ]

What is the legal liabilty of the Vice President of an LLC? Can he be held liable for unpaid taxes?

Garage door damage liabilty - who is liable? [ 1 Answers ]

Individuals who may have been working for a contractor in my high rise condo building gained access to the garage through my opening the door to let in my own contractors. When I realized that they were the wrong people I asked them to leave. They refused repeatedly and a verbal disagreement...

Liabilty insurance for support services business [ 2 Answers ]

Do u need liabilty insurance to have/own a personal support service business.

View more questions Search