Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    EthanGray Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 11, 2008, 10:44 AM
    Connect 1 computer to 2 networks
    I want to share files with my room mate but not allow internet access, He has his own source for internet. He connects to his modem via cat 5 and to mine via wireless. He has 2 separate NIC cards to accomplish this. So far I haven't been able to get it to work. Any advice?
    crigby Posts: 4,343, Reputation: 107
    Outdoor Power Equipment Expert

Sep 11, 2008, 12:40 PM
    Hi,
    Im at a loss as to what is the problem. You say he connects toyou via wireless?
    EthanGray Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 11, 2008, 03:45 PM
    Sorry didn't explain that very well
    What we are trying to do is have him connected to both his network (internet) and my network (file sharing but no internet) at the same time.
    crigby Posts: 4,343, Reputation: 107
    Outdoor Power Equipment Expert

Sep 11, 2008, 04:34 PM
    Hi,
    Since you say that the other computer contains two NICs, use Control Panel >Network to set the wireless connection(NIC) to a static address(make one up.) Generally something like 192.168.0.1(which is a default router address or 169.254.0.1(which is a APIPA address) and give the other computer a similar address(not the same.) The default mask should work; it should assign it automatically. This is done with the IP Address tab and the Gateway tab. Set the gateway on your computer to be the computer with the two NICs by giving it the IP address assigned to the other. Do not have DNS or WINS turned on on that card. Do not tamper with the settings on the other card.
    Hope that was clear and helps,
    crigby
    chuckhole Posts: 850, Reputation: 45

Sep 12, 2008, 08:14 PM
    When you connect to two networks like this, you are also getting two gateway addresses. Your computer will get confused as to which one it is suppose to use for routing. You will need to set the Binding Order on your network devices. Set your LAN connection first and your Wireless connection after that.

Vista - Start, Network, Network and Sharing, Manage network connections, Press the ALT key to see the Classic Menu, select Advanced, Advanced Settings.

XP - right click on My Network, select Properties, Advanced, Advanced Settings (hope I remember that right).

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can I connect two networks in one system [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I have two networks one is for internet usage and other is for call center usage. The call center ip is dedicated link in that we don't get internet and in internet usage ip is only for internet usage. Now I am here with one problem i.e.. while I am connecting this two networks in one...

Connect Networks through VPN [ 1 Answers ]

Dear Experts, I have offices in different locations. My office 2 I connected to office 1 through VPN (vpn server in office 1) i.e. each computer having vpn client and it will call to vpn server and will connect. This two offices having 2 ip range . Office 1 is in the range ...

How can I connect 2 networks with 2 NIC's with 1 Computer [ 1 Answers ]

I am running windows XP. I am trying to use one computer with two NIC's to connect to two different networks. One network is just your basic LAN connecting to a server (we call it 2000 Server cause its running 2000 Server) with internet access. The other network has a server running automated...

Connect two networks [ 2 Answers ]

I have two running networks one with a broadband internet connection, I want to connect the two networks so as to be able to share the internet connection. Any advice will be welcomed.

How to connect 2 Networks (LAN) [ 4 Answers ]

I am looking to connect 4 of my branches to my Head office. (total of 5 Networks) Presently none of the networks have internet, I have been looking at viable ways to connect the branches. So far I have come up with the following: xDSL Data Lines provided by my ISP. Point to Point...

View more questions Search