Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Jdenni Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 11, 2008, 08:59 AM
    Unable to renew IP Address when using wireless
    Hi,
    I have a desk top, and I have installed a wireless card in it. I am unable to connect to wireless and when I try to repair the connection, it is unable to renew my IP address. The computer connects fine when hooked up to LAN. I am certain the security key was entered correctly, and I have 100% signal.

Could this be a problem in my registry? I was in there a while ago and deleted a few things I thought were viruses, and haven't had any other problems after doing so.

Any suggests on what the problem might be, and how I might fix it?

Thanks,

Jeff
    StaticFX Posts: 943, Reputation: 74

Sep 11, 2008, 09:02 AM
    Try going in the router and removing the wep key (if that what you are using) then see if you connect. Also check your device manager to make sure the wireless card is working.

Well, actually, I have to assume it is working.. do u get a list of available networks to connect too? Any that are not secured? Try one of those for fun...
    crigby Posts: 4,343, Reputation: 107
    Outdoor Power Equipment Expert

Sep 11, 2008, 01:08 PM
    Hi,
    Is one looking for DHCP and the other static.
    Peace,
    crigby
    Jdenni Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 11, 2008, 05:21 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Jdenni
    Hi,
    I have a desk top, and I have installed a wireless card in it. I am unable to connect to wireless and when I try to repair the connection, it is unable to renew my IP address. The computer connects fine when hooked up to LAN. I am certain the security key was entered correctly, and I have 100% signal.

Could this be a problem in my registry? I was in there a while ago and deleted a few things I thought were viruses, and haven't had any other problems after doing so.

Any suggests on what the problem might be, and how I might fix it?

Thanks,

Jeff
    I read somewhere to try: netsh int IP reset C:/netshlog.txt, not much happened, but I am now connected with limited or no connectivity, still unable to renew my IP address.

Before my IP address was 0.0.0.0, it now has an address, but again limited connectivity, and I can not get online or renew the IP address

I also tried ipconfig/renew and got a message saying unable to conenct to your DCHP server. But the DCHP is enabled however.

Not sure if this will any responses.

Thanks,

Jeff
    crigby Posts: 4,343, Reputation: 107
    Outdoor Power Equipment Expert

Sep 11, 2008, 05:59 PM
    Hi,
    What address do you have, APIPA I would guess (169.254.x.x) Your machine does not see the server responsible for assigning it an address(DHCP- Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol) and so has to muddle through. Is there an address defined for the Gateway. You have not supplied the OS, so I have to guess. Should be within your Network settings. If connection is limited and you get the aforementioned message; your machine is "stabbing" in the dark to fine its way around.
    Peace,
    crigby
    chuckhole Posts: 850, Reputation: 45

Sep 12, 2008, 07:39 PM
    Did you disable the WEP key as what was previously suggested?

From what you described, this is likely the problem. You have to get all of the information from router as to what type of WEP key is used and type in the key exactly the same. The router will not forgive you for even the smallest of errors.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I cannot renew my IP address for my wireless network [ 4 Answers ]

Hello everyone Can you help me? I cannot renew my IP address for my wireless network. I can find my wireless network in range when I search and when I type in my password which I know is correct I cannot renew my ip address and when I then repair my network it does not work as it stops...

Unable to Renew IP Address [ 3 Answers ]

To All: After several years of reliable service, my laptop suddenly is unable to connect to my home wireless network. I was given the "Limited or no connectivity" error. When I attempted to use the repair... it kept stopping because it was unable to renew my IP address. My router and modem...

Wireless Intertnet Can't Renew IP address [ 7 Answers ]

Hi, So I bought a used laptop: it's a Latitude D505 with XP. When I try to connect to my wireless internet, which works on my other DELL computer, the symbol in the task bar that it has an excellent connection. However, when I go into Internet Explorer, it says that I am not connected to the...

Cannot renew ip address [ 3 Answers ]

My lap top signal is excellent but can not connect to internet tried to plug in lan line could not renew ip address :mad:

Cannot renew IP Address - Wireless; laptop; XP Pro [ 9 Answers ]

Hello, I have been trying to add a 2nd wireless connection to my home network that currently hosts one wireless and one ethernet connection. The computer is a Compaq Presario R3000 that has been successfully networked at our former home for about two years. However; that was with a different...

View more questions Search