Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    algranville2000 Posts: 19, Reputation: 1

May 10, 2006, 11:23 PM
    Choosing the Right Merchant Account
    I'm opening up a small business and I want to know how to compare Merchant Accounts/Credit Card Processing companies. I want the best service, with the most reasonable rates, and a processor that is trustworthy and experienced. Please provide me with a comparison chart and any other pertinent information I will need to choose a Merchant Account. Thank You.

Art Granville
    Hemet, CA
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

May 11, 2006, 04:33 AM
    I just went through this about a year and a half ago. I don't have charts for you, but here is some info that will help you wade through it all.

Generally the fees will be based on whether you are swiping the card or taking the info off the phone/over the net. Look for the best rates for each based on what percentage of your business (or anticipated business) will be done each way.

Watch for fees: Setup fee, monthly statement fee, per transaction fee, etc.

Read every word of the lengthy contract before you sign it.

I called a dozen vendors of merchant accounts before choosing the one I'm with now. I'll dig through our stuff to find who it was and let you know.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 11, 2006, 04:54 AM
    Since we needed to take them, but hardly ever get any, I found my local bank offered me the best service since we do all of the church banking with them. Most if you had little usage, had other fees and charges my local bank waived a lot of them if we keep so much money on deposit
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

May 11, 2006, 06:06 AM
    I found it. Here's who I went through:
    Goodrate.net.

The processing is actually done through NPC, but either they do not sell direct to merchants, or the price through the middle guy was better... I forget which.

Gary is the guy I talked with at Goodrate. I set up 3 merchant accounts with him.

I'm not pushing him; definitely call around, including your bank as Fr_Chuck suggested. My bank is a small bank and referred me to another middleman that had higher rates... and the big banks here in town charged more than Goodrate was offering.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Choosing usa universities [ 3 Answers ]

Dear sir Please suggest me a university in the united states of america .I want to do phd in organic chemistry .I have planned to take GRE TOEFL . My academic percentage is 80% Please reply

Help in choosing between three fans [ 5 Answers ]

Hi all - new to the forum and have looked around a bit, but haven't found what I am looking for yet. My issue is this: I am getting a new condo that is very urban/loft in design, so I want to install fans to match stylistically. However, with 16 foot ceilings, I also want a fan that is functional...

Choosing a thermostat [ 4 Answers ]

I am looking to change my thermostat to a digital one. Propblem is, I don't know what to get. I don't know to get one for a heat pump, or central heat and air, If they both heat and cool with indoor and outdoor units, how do you know what I have? I have seen some thermostats for 2 stage systems,...

Choosing a router. [ 3 Answers ]

Can anybody recommend a good wired router for my home network? I have 3 PCs, 2 WIN XP SP2, 1 WIN 98SE. I also have a Speedstream 5100 DSL modem. I'm thinking maybe firewalled for extra security. So far I've put my eye on the Linksys BEFSX41. ANY suggestions are apreciated. Thank you!! :)

View more questions Search