Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rockerchick26 Posts: 93, Reputation: 22

Sep 11, 2008, 04:03 AM
    I need some suggestions!
    To be perfectly honest, I haven't read much since college. I would really like to start reading again!! I need some suggestions on some good fiction or non-fiction... I'm up for anything really! I would really appreciate hearing some of your favorites. Thanks all!
    StaticFX Posts: 943, Reputation: 74

Sep 11, 2008, 06:56 AM
    Hmm... that leaves it wide open!

Non fiction: a very hard read, but incredible story "Night" by Elie Wiesel

Scifi/fantasy: The Belgariad - David Eddings (This is the first 3 books in the series... FANTASTIC series... if you like it, there are like 15 more books in that series)

Dragonlance series: Dragons of Autumn Twilight (first in MANY books) By Tracy Hickman & Margaret Weis
    davina4822 Posts: 55, Reputation: 9

Sep 11, 2008, 10:42 AM
    So much depends on your interests. I don't read much non-fiction, but I can recommend some good fiction:

If you like character development and a good police procedural, start at the beginning of Elizabeth George's Thomas Lynley series. I have read them all, and keep them so I can read them again some day.

Anna Quindlen's novels, especially Blessings, One True Thing, and Black and Blue.

The Dennis Lehane series about private detectives in Boston, Patrick and Angie are all wonderful. The movie they made about "Mystic River" was almost like reading the book, it was that accurate. But afain, start at the beginning.

Jeffrey Deaver's Lincoln Rhyme series.

As a starter, there's a wonderful book called "I Thought My Father was God" that's a compilation of true stores written by regular people; some are sad, some are funny, but they all make you wonder at the things that happen to people. My favorite was the story about the boy who didn't like peas.

The Secret Life of Bees. I recommend this to almost every woman, and even some men.
    dyanamite Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 11, 2008, 10:53 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by rockerchick26
    To be perfectly honest, I haven't read much since college. I would really like to start reading again!!! I need some suggestions on some good fiction or non-fiction....I'm up for anything really! I would really appreciate hearing some of your favorites. Thanks all!
    theres a very nice and popular book named CHICKEN SOUP FOR TEENAAGE SOUL, ITS VOLUME ON - LOVE AND FRIENDSHIP IS JUST THE RIGHT THING FOR YOU.Even i faced the same plroblem, i had left reading for almost 5 yrs and was too impatient to sit with a fat novel. It was this book that I accidently started reading and couldnt resist reading it for a long time.The best part is ,this book has short stories which involve characters in or daily life and also deals with our psychology. Its A must read book
    StaticFX Posts: 943, Reputation: 74

Sep 11, 2008, 11:30 AM
    If you want to read a "chicken soup" book.. might I suggest something more toward your age. I think I can safely assume (since you said "I haven't read much since college.") that you aren't a teenager ;)

I would copy paste... but.. list is huge

Chicken Soup for the Soul
    jjwoodhull Posts: 1,378, Reputation: 239
    Ultra Member

Sep 11, 2008, 11:33 AM
    Reread some of the classics - there's a reason they've held up for so long. My favorite is Pride & Prejudice.
    HistorianChick Posts: 2,556, Reputation: 825
    Ultra Member

Sep 16, 2008, 11:24 AM
    I recommend Suzanne's Diary for Nicholas by James Patterson. It is an easy read and will give you a whole experience in emotions. I laughed, cried, threw the book in anger, and couldn't put it down until I finished it! Don't start until you can finish it - seriously. I read it on a Saturday. :)
    Telepathetic23 Posts: 60, Reputation: 6

May 19, 2009, 12:24 AM

Thief of always, power of one, and I say go back to your childhood books... they are always a fun read...

Babysitters Club, Goosebumps, maybe you are a bit older: My side of the mountain... Fun fun
    Catsmine Posts: 3,826, Reputation: 739
    Pest Control Expert

May 19, 2009, 05:00 PM
    Jake Butcher's "The Dresden Files" novels. The first is "Storm Front."

I love history, maybe "The Federalist Papers" in non-fiction
    FlyYakker Posts: 378, Reputation: 41

May 20, 2009, 11:41 AM

History:
    Paris 1919 by McMillan
    Mayflower by Philbrick
    Sammi96 Posts: 14, Reputation: 1

Jul 16, 2009, 11:53 PM

Twilight by stephenie meyer
    The best book in the whole world!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Any suggestions? [ 3 Answers ]

I straighten my hair everyday for school and sometimes also on the weekends. I'm worried about the damage this could cause in the long run. My question is what is the best product for protecting my crazy hair? Thanks in advance :)

Any suggestions? [ 4 Answers ]

I can not have an orgasm unless my better half is playing with my "spot"---C Is there other ways, without doing that?

Any suggestions? [ 5 Answers ]

Any time my boyfriend and I go to the movie store, we can never find anything worth watching! Any suggestions (new OR old)? Thanks! FYI, I like just about any genre, he isn't really into horror/sci-fi. But we are open to any ideas no matter what the genre. :)

I need some suggestions. [ 14 Answers ]

A coworker of my husband has asked me if I would watch her little girl all this week. She asked me how much I charge and I am completely stumped. No one has been wiling to pay me for babysitting since I was a teenager. How much would you guys charge for babysitting one kid for one week...

Suggestions? [ 1 Answers ]

I don't get along with a sister who is a year and half older than me, I am having problems with my parents with communicating, the youngest sister doesn't like talking to me and is hostile towards me when I try to involve her or get invloved with things with her, and the oldest sister I don't...

View more questions Search