Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    gomh Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 11, 2008, 03:50 AM
    Elevated blood glucose
    46 yo female elite marathoner, no personal or family history of diabetes, 100 lbs, 5'2" in excellent health ran 10K. Felt good and surged last mile of race and by finish slowed dramatically had difficulty breathing, became light-headed and weak, blood sugar tested 328 (repeated twice, third test 228). No further symptoms. What caused this?
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Sep 11, 2008, 04:08 AM
    Its my guess she didn't eat well enough the night before, or the morning of her race.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Sep 11, 2008, 05:23 AM
    Stress on the body can easily raise blood sugar.
    Expert

Sep 11, 2008, 08:44 AM
    I don't understand you blood sugar testing methods. The numbers mean nothing to me. We have different terminology hereCanada whereby my blood sugar in the morning is anything under 7 which is recommended for diabetics to be before eating (8 after eating).

I wonder why one simple testing solution isn't universal which would probably be safer for everyone.

Maybe J-9 can explain the numbers above and why they differ from the way I test.
    Expert

Sep 11, 2008, 08:46 AM
    Runners have very high core temps if they don't have enough fluid during a race.And if not enough fluid can lead to death. I wonder if this would change the glucuse level ?
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Sep 11, 2008, 03:46 PM
    In the US, acceptable numbers are between 70 and 110.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Elevated B 12 levels [ 5 Answers ]

My daughter was told by her physician that she had elevated B12 levels. When she asked what that meant, he told her the only time he's seen this was when a child had leukemia. First of all, I was furious he told her that before any sort of testing being done. Second, I have searched the internet...

Relation between sunlight and glucose [ 1 Answers ]

What is the relation between sunlight and glucose?

Senior Persons' Blood Glucose Levels [ 8 Answers ]

Hello, I would like to ask is there a difference in blood glucose levels for the elderly and adults? I have heard that the blood glucose levels should be 6-10 for elderly. Is this the case? And why is it so? I have a friend who is 74 years old and he has a constant blood glucose level that...

Biochemistry standard curve for glucose [ 1 Answers ]

How do u do the following haven't got a clue how to do these:confused Glucose micrograms/ml absorbance 620nm 0 0.035; 0.028 10 ...

Average glucose levels in blood [ 0 Answers ]

I am looking for a table containing average glucose blood levels of different populations (ages etc.), if possible not only the means but also the standard deviations.

View more questions Search