Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jjendro Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 10, 2006, 09:12 PM
    Explorer.exe-Application Error
    Hello,

I have a Dell Dimension E510 w/Windows XP. I recently converted from Norton Antivirus to SpySweeper and then I've been try to use the Microsoft Defender II antivirus program to protect my computer. Somewhere in the transition I got several infections and now I get an application error as soon as I try to log on which reads "The application failed to initialize properly (0xc0000005). Click on OK to terminate the application." And then the computer doesn't bring up the desktop. Anyone have any thoughts or experience with this one? Thanks,

John
    LTheobald Posts: 1,051, Reputation: 127
    Ultra Member

May 11, 2006, 01:03 AM
    If the desktop doesn't load and it just sits there showing your background, try pressing CTRL + SHIFT + ESC. This will load the task manager. From there click File >> New Task. In the dialog that appears, type "explorer" and hit enter. Hopefully that will load the taskbar and we can fix the problem.

Also, try loading into Safe Mode. Hold F as your computer is booting and you should be presented with an option to select safe mode.

Look at the startup processes in MSConfig (Start >> Run >> "MSConfig", or use the Task manager method above using "MSConfig" instead of "explorer"). Check the startup tab to see if there's anything in there that could be causing the problem. It might be worth disabling anything that you consider non-essential and see if that lets you boot up.

If you can get to it, it might be worth doing a System Restore (Start >> Programs >> Accessories >> System Tools >> System Restore) and jump the PC back a few days. You won't lose any data etc.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

May 11, 2006, 05:57 AM
    Just a point here, but SpySweeper is not a replacment for an anti-virus. Generally A/V and anti-spyware utilities are separate. A vendor may bundle an A/V and an A/S in a security suite, but they are still separate.
    jjendro Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 11, 2006, 07:25 PM
    Thanks for your posts. I think LTheobald is on the right track, it seems to be a software issue. I was able to do everything suggested by LTheobald's post but was unable to identify anything clearly wrong about what in the startup tab. I think its some software component of Norton's that's screwing up explorer.exe in the startup sequence. Let me know if you have any more suggestions. Thanks - JJ
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

May 12, 2006, 05:12 AM
    If you go to Symantec's site, I believe there is a utility to completely clean out Norton A/V. I would suggest downloading and running it.

This is why I don't recommend Norton A/V. It sinks its hook too deeply into the OS often causing problems with other programs.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Explorer Script Error [ 6 Answers ]

I have just started getting this annoying window appearig very frequently that says "Windows Explorer Script Error" and words to the effect "Do you want to keep running scripts on this page".. not all have the same error there are several different errors. It seems to only happen on certain...

Internet Explorer Script Error [ 1 Answers ]

My emails are not printing in OutLook Express. A line 1344 is noted.

Internet explorer script error [ 2 Answers ]

How to get rid of the error? It always appear on my screen every time I view something? Do I need to upgrade something? Anybody help please. Sorry wrong category again.

A Repeating Application Error Message. [ 2 Answers ]

FONT-Courier NewSIZE=3COLOR=SlateGrey :confused: SUBJECT: A Repeating application error message. 1. Description of the problem: Several times a day while I'm working at my computer, the following occurs. I click on an icon or try the use Mozilla FireFox v1.0.2. The...

Explorer error--please help [ 1 Answers ]

:-/ This is the message I keep receiving every time I try to use my internet explorer. (Explorer has caused an error in INEB.DLL Explorer will now close. If you continue to experience problems, Try restarting your computer.)

View more questions Search