Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    DistressedMOM Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 10, 2008, 08:40 PM
    Name change for child when father won't agree
    My son has his dad's last name. At the time of his birth I agreed that he should have his dad's last name. However, about a week ago, his father assaulted me and put our son in life-threatening danger. As a result the courts have ordered him to stay away from me and our son or risk being re-arrested and jailed. The child is now in my custody, but not through a court order. Can I apply to have my son's surname changed to mine given the circumstances? Or do I still need the father's consent?
    stinawords Posts: 2,071, Reputation: 150
    Ultra Member

Sep 10, 2008, 09:12 PM
    You will still need the father to sign off on it too. Why is your custody of your son not through a court order? If the judge ordered him to stay away from both of you then you should have been awarded full physical custody. You should go to court to petition for full physical custody just so you have it in an order. Did you press charges on him for the assult?
    DistressedMOM Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 11, 2008, 04:13 PM
    He was arrested and charged with domestic assault by the police after he was treated for his injuries at the hospital. Because of the life-threatening danger he put our son in, the CAS was also called in and is now involved: they have made it clear that if I even allow the father near my child for a visit, they will apprehend my son from me without hesitation. The CAS and the courts don't want the father in his son's life: they have deemed him a threat and I rightly agree. Even though the child has been placed in my custody by the CAS and the courts, I have begun the formal process of suing the father for temporary and permanent custody as well as for child support as a means of throwing my support behind their decision as well as to ensure the long-term protection of my son's well-being going forward into the future.
    In the meantime, the court has also ordered the father to stay away from both of us or face immediate re-arrest and stiff jail time.
    Given the extreme circumstance I no longer want my son to have the father's last name. I know the father of the child will never agree to let me change his surname to mine, so I wonder if I any other options? The idea that his name will linger with questions like "why is his last name different from yours?" for years to come bothers me. I don't like the idea of having to explain that one. My intent is not to sneak away with the child but to claim him as my own with my surname: I don't believe that his father should have naming rights to our son after he treated us the way he did. The bottom line is: I don't want my son's life to be complicated by this situation as he gets older.
    stinawords Posts: 2,071, Reputation: 150
    Ultra Member

Sep 11, 2008, 04:33 PM
    What state are you in? Each state has their own set of laws regarding cases like these and even the ones without actual laws have "historys" or "case-law" based on how the court has ruled on similar cases before yours. That will make the most difference right now. I could go on about many different possibilities but it would save a lot of time if we could address just your state.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Child support from unwilling father, uninvolved father [ 26 Answers ]

I am currently pregnant with my first child. The father is not involved. What rights does the baby have to collect child support from him? Is it ethical to force financial child support, when he does not want to be involved? Yet, he has said that he will provide support. He says that and then...

Father seeking child custody of an unborn child [ 8 Answers ]

How can I get partial custody to my unborn child? The mother refusing to name me as the father. I know I can file after the baby is born, but I want to be there for the birth of my child.

I want to change the father for my child [ 5 Answers ]

I have a 21 month old son. On his birth certificate his biological father is listed. Fortunatly his father hasn't been active in his life since he was five months old. I'm now in a relationship with a man that plans to marry me. My fiancé has been present in my sons life since he was six months...

I want to give custody of my unborn child to the father before the child is born [ 2 Answers ]

I am pregnant and wish to give custody to the father before the child is born

New step father wants to adopt child that has no father on birth certificate [ 1 Answers ]

I am a new step father and I wish to adopt my 4 year old step son and my 8 year old step son . The 4 year old does not have a father listed on the birth certificate and the 8 year old does but the bio-father has not made any kind of contact in 5 years but is court ordered to pay child support and...

View more questions Search