Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jer988001 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 10, 2008, 07:45 PM
    1978 chevy truck
    Truck runs fine but dies when you put it into gear, when I power brake it it will stay running but right as I let off the gas in gear it dies , rebuilt the carb , timed and adjusted , smoke and vac tested it no leaks I just don't know it is a 1978 chevy 2500 5.7 auto any I deas?
    CaptainRich Posts: 4,492, Reputation: 537
    Cars & Trucks Expert

Sep 11, 2008, 07:07 PM
    On this old lovely, check for worn or chaffed wiring within the distributor. Check also for a weak coil and or low fuel volume and/or fuel pressure.
    There could be more than one issue with this type of vehicle. Kind of old school things could creep into diagnosis.
    Have you done much to this rig already?
    jer988001 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 12, 2008, 07:13 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainRich
    On this old lovely, check for worn or chaffed wiring within the distributor. Check also for a weak coil and or low fuel volume and/or fuel pressure.
    There could be more than one issue with this type of vehicle. Kinda old school things could creep into diagnosis.
    Have you done much to this rig already?
    I replaced the distibutor, rebuit the carb, tested fuel pressure check for vac leaks, could it possibly be the tourque converter?
    CaptainRich Posts: 4,492, Reputation: 537
    Cars & Trucks Expert

Sep 13, 2008, 09:34 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by jer988001
    i replaced the distibutor, rebuit the carb, tested fuel pressure check for vac leaks, could it possibly be the tourque converter?
    That's easy enough to check.
    Unbolt the torque converter from the flywheel and slide it gently back to clear the back of the flywheel and start the engine. Do the symptoms remain?
    Was there an issue with the transmission before the engine work? Any work done to the trans?
    Seems odd...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Chevy truck [ 1 Answers ]

91 chevy pickup! Replaced transmission now its riding the gears before shifting??

1978 Chevy Chevette quits when I stop [ 1 Answers ]

My sons chevette idols fast. When he first tries to start it most of the time it won't start just turning the key, you have to mash the gas several times then start it. When the car comes to a stop it stops running and you have to mash the gas several times to start it. Just had tune up a new valve...

1978 Chevy pickup ignition timing [ 2 Answers ]

What is the recommended ignition timing for a 1978 Chevy pickup w/a 350 motor?

96 chevy truck [ 3 Answers ]

I have a 96 chevy pichup with a vortec 305 and it staled on me yesterday. Well the pump is Working and it seems tto have pressure I even changed the fuel filter but it still won't start.

1978 Chevy Scottsdale [ 1 Answers ]

My husband recently purchased a 1978 Chevy Scottsdale (dirt cheap) it had a broken flexplate, he replaced the parts and the truck ran like butter for awhile. The other day the flex plate broke again. Now I'm not up on mechanical stuff and he tries hard any tranny knowledge would sure be greatly...

View more questions Search