Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tiggerella Posts: 184, Reputation: 13

Sep 10, 2008, 06:54 PM
    Looking for an ancestor in Chelsea, Massachusetts
    I lost my dad to lymphoma (cancer of the lymph nodes) in 1980 and, to feel closer to him, started researching our family tree. I found a great book on the Dow family line called "The Book of Dow", which listed my great-grandfather as the son of an Alexander Dow in Palermo, Maine "by conjecture", but I have since found Alexander Dow's family records and my great-grandfather wasn't his son.

According to my grandfather in an interview in a newspaper the year Grampy hit 90 years old, James Parker Dow came to Maine from Chelsea, Massachusetts, met Susan Lovina Belden, and they were married in Palermo, Maine in 1870. Family rumor has it that his parents were Samuel and Roxanne Lamont and that he was adopted into the Dow family.

He passed away in an accident in the mill pond where he was working in 1876, and while I have located his unmarked grave, I haven't yet managed to find proof of his birthplace (mostly because a huge fire wiped out the records that would have existed when he applied for a marriage license). Since it's been 28 years of searching so far, I would like to ask any members of this forum who live in the Chelsea, MA area if they might be willing to check into old records. Here in Maine, the records for adoptions from the 1800's are now public record, but I simply can't afford to go to Chelsea to search.

If you are willing to have a look for me and need more information than is included above, please let me know. I do this kind of thing on a volunteer basis myself in the area where I live, but that volunteer group doesn't have anyone in Chelsea.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions (and before you suggest this, I've already become a member of Ancestry.com twice, but the records I need don't seem to have been transposed onto the internet).

Check out some similar questions!

Massachusetts adoption [ 5 Answers ]

My son was born in mqassachusets, and I just married in Texas. My husband wants to adopt my son, my son's father is not on his birth cirtificate, so how so how do I go about this?

Adoption records from 1800's in Chelsea, MA? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi - I've been researching my family tree since my father died in 1980, but I've hit a major snag when it comes to my great-grandfather, James Parker Dow. James was born in apx. 1850-1851 and died in a drowning accident at a Vassalboro, Maine sawmill in February 1876. (I've found his unmarked...

Anyone in Chelsea, Massachusetts willing to do some research? [ 2 Answers ]

Hi - I've been seeking information on my great grandfather, who was married April 26, 1870 in Palermo, Maine, but was rumored to have been a native of Chelsea, Massachusetts. In the town where I live, the town office kept information in the town records on marriages such as who the parents of...

View more questions Search

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search