Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jmlachance Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jun 15, 2004, 12:28 PM
    85 Plymouth Voyager transmission
    Replaced the engine and tranny on my 85 Voyager with known good units.  The van now will not go into reverse or forward.  Put in the required amount of fluid and have a good steady flow from the tranny coolant hose when disconnected to test with the engine running.  When going from all different shift positions, with engine running then into Park, there is a clicking noise and then a clunk!  Someone suggested I may not have the CV axles in properly and the transmission is actually running OK.  Before I dismantle everything (wheels, hubs, struts and axles) any opinions on what the problem is or what else to test and how. Thanks

JML
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Jun 15, 2004, 03:56 PM
    Re: *5 Plymouth Voyager transmission
    Jack it up with both front wheels off the ground. If you can't turn them with it in park, the axles are in place properly. Next, with the engine off, and it in neutral, try turning one wheel by hand. If the other one turns the opposite way, again the axles are in OK.

My guess is that in handling, some crud broke loose and is clogging something vital keeping the transmission from working. You could try changing the transmission filter. Usually that means dropping the pan. A change of fluid might be a good idea too. With the pan off, you may be able to see the output shaft. If so, it should turn when you turn a wheel by hand if the axle is installed correctly.
    jmlachance Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jun 15, 2004, 07:01 PM
    Re: *5 Plymouth Voyager transmission
    :)
    Great answer! Much appreciated.
    The axles don't seem to be connected since the wheels spin in park and spinning one doesn't spin the other(in neutral). I've replaced the CV joints before and never had this problem. How can the splined shafts be in the tranny yet not be connected? The Haynes mamual doesn't give any specific instructions or warnings about putting in the shafts to avoid this...
    BTW, I should have mentionned in my first post that the fluid and filter had been changed.
    Thanks again

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Transmission for '98 Plymouth Voyager [ 2 Answers ]

Can anyone please tell me where to find the "brain" from my transmission? We were told in the firewall, but cannot find this part. Can anyone give me a brief description of where to look? Thanks!

97 Grand Voyager [ 1 Answers ]

Does anybody know where to locate the trailer wiring harness on a 97 Plymouth Grand Voyager ?

View more questions Search