Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lilthechic Posts: 26, Reputation: 0

Sep 10, 2008, 05:10 AM
    My laptop won't start
    I have a toshiba P205D-S8804 satellite. I got it 3 months ago. The silly thing won't boot. I just see a dark screen. It has windows vista on it. When I tried windows auto repair, it said it can't be fixed automatically. Help me oh please help me. How do I use the recovery disc
    StaticFX Posts: 943, Reputation: 74

Sep 10, 2008, 06:21 AM
    Did you do anything different the previous time you used it?

OK, do you see anything when booting? (like a bios screen... anything at all)

If you see something when you start it, then hit F8 continually until it gives you a boot menu. Select LAST KNOWN GOOD CONFIGURATION. If it works... hopefully you are all set, just reboot normally and make sure.

If that is no good... restart again... hit F8 again, but select SAFE MODE. See if you can get in... put the vista disk in... and look for the option to repair.

If THAT doesn't work... you need to into the bios (usually F2 or F12 or DEL as soon as you turn on the PC) look for BOOT options... you want to change the order so that the CD is first. Put the Vista CD in, exit and save the bios. On reboot, it might ask you to press a key to boot to the cd.. hit the space bar (or any key) and once it starts, look for the repair option.
    After its all done and it reboots... again go back into the BIOS and switch it back so the CD is 3rd (well, 3rd if you have a disk drive 2nd if no disk drive.)

Post back with some results. Good luck!
    lilthechic Posts: 26, Reputation: 0

Sep 15, 2008, 06:20 AM
    Thank you so much. It helped. I lost a great deal of my documents and software and videos and games. But I have my computer back. Thanks! WHAT DO YOU THINK CAUSED THE Problem?

Sep 15, 2008, 09:49 AM
    Games I'm not surprised,, but usually the documents stay (sorry)

Bad drivers? Corrupted drivers or registry... the list is endless. Glad it worked. Look into partitioning your hard drive (splitting it up into 2 sections... partition magic works) you can then keep important docs on the other partition. So if you have to re-install, you still have all your document.
    artonfix Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 3, 2008, 04:40 AM

My compaq pressario 1200 will not turn on.
    When I push the power button nothing happens. The only light that shows is the green light showing the power is connected.
    Is there any solution?

Oct 3, 2008, 08:55 AM

No beeps? Nothing?

Could be anything from a cooked motherboard, to a bad power switch. Try pushing the powerswitch hard, and wiggle it while pressed. (cant hurt to try it! Lol)

Could be a bad switch, bad motherboard.. hard to tell.
    Open it up and try re-seating everything.. make sure all connectors are snug inside, ram is seated good.

I'd say get it serviced, but really, it would most likely cost more to fix than it would be to buy a new one. That one is old.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Dv6000 laptop won't start [ 1 Answers ]

I've had my pavilion dv6000 for over a year and today, Windows xp won't start up... I start the computer and then get a blank screen after the HP logo goes away... no clue what to do.

Laptop does not start after logging into a profile [ 3 Answers ]

When I enter the password for my user profile, nothing happens and the laptop does not start. I waited for 1 hour and still nothing. The only change that I made was uninstall some applications. Is there any way that I can get to log into my profile :( I am using Windows XP. Thanks.

Laptop start up [ 2 Answers ]

I have an HP Laptop Pavillon DV9000. The lights come on but the computer will not run when the start button is pushed. Just the lights come on. It appears like I have accidentally locked my computer. Nothing runs. I wonder if you might help me?

Hp laptop won't start--ideas? [ 1 Answers ]

My HP ze4530 (purchased November 2003) won't turn on. I push the power button, and it lights up for a split second and then goes off. It will start to turn itself on for a whil, but no luck. Can I buy a part or something to fix it? (I have heard that it may have overheated, which would cause...

My laptop will not start at all [ 1 Answers ]

I have a sony laptop running XP. I was browsing and suddenly it just froze up. I tried to end task, then I just shut it down. Now it will not do anything. When I turn it on, the lights turn on, and a little fan spins for a sec, the nothing else... at all. I can't even get to any bios or...

View more questions Search