Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Sep 15, 2008, 10:00 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tomder55
    Typical liberal solution housing the poor near a garbage dump.
    Hello again, tom:

The typical Republican solution would be to let them live IN the garbage dump, and not notice.

excon
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Sep 15, 2008, 10:37 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tomder55
    Why do you think that's liberal? Who "encouraged" the poor to gather at the foot of the levees in NO?
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Sep 15, 2008, 10:56 AM
    Who "encouraged" the poor to gather at the foot of the levees in NO?
    Not sure what you are getting at. . The lower 9th ward's history goes back to 1920 around the time the Industrial canal was built. The poor originally moved there on their own ;and canals and drainage was added to better the lives of the poor of the community. . Hurricane Betsy destroyed it in 1965 . 81 lives were lost in the ward. As I recall the Dems ran everything then.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Sep 15, 2008, 10:59 AM
    Here's some history on Altgeld Gardens (from its site):

Located in a far south neighborhood near Riverdale, Altgeld Gardens, or, "The Gardens" is historic, as it is the location of the first public housing projects in the United States and was also an important stop on the Underground Railroad. It was built in 1945 to deal with the housing needs of African-Americans returning from the Second World War. Its 1,500 two-story row houses that span 157 acres are in the midst of getting rehabbed, and are bordered by 130th street, the Calumet River, Indiana Avenue and the I94 Expressway. It was originally settled by Dutch and German immigrants in the mid 1800's.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Sep 15, 2008, 11:00 AM
    Originally Posted by tomder55
    If liberals did this, what would the conservative solution have been?

That's not what happened at Atgeld --

In the 1940s and 1950s, residents viewed [Chicago] public housing as a path to upward mobility. The lowest-income people and those living in the worst slums were given priority in the new projects, but they were carefully screened for substance abuse and criminal records. All had to pass a housekeeping “home visit.” The majority of households were two-parent families. Female-headed households constituted less than 30 percent. The tenants were poor, but most were employed. It was the first time many of the tenants had experienced racial integration, and they reported that racial harmony in the projects was the norm.

[CHA head Elizabeth] Wood wanted to expand integrated public housing to more areas in the city. But racial politics led a drastic revision of CHA housing policy. In 1953, the placement of a black family in the Trumbull Park Homes led to a violent uprising by white residents in the neighborhood. The incident provided an opportunity for Chicago's segregationist politicians to put an end to Wood's efforts. She was fired the following year along with many of her key staff members.

During the same time, urban renewal and highway construction projects caused the displacement of thousands of African Americans. Pressure to integrate the city's white neighborhoods was mounting. The politicians' response was containment – in the form of high-density, high-rise buildings in black neighborhoods.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Lipstick color. [ 3 Answers ]

What is the best lipstick color,for going out at night?

Lipstick [ 2 Answers ]

Hi everyone! Does anyone have any suggestions on stopping lipstick bleeds? I have tried foundation, lip liners and "special" sticks designed to stop it, but it still bleeds? Any ideas:confused:

Non-smear lipstick [ 4 Answers ]

Where can I locate non-smear lipstick?

Lipstick make & color on a music video [ 1 Answers ]

How do I go about finding out the make and color of a lipstick worn by an artist (Nelly Furtado) on a music video ("On the Radio")?

When should an old lipstick be thrown out? [ 7 Answers ]

I was cleaning out some drawers and found some old cosmetics. I know that all eye and face products should not be used past say six months because of bacteria concerns. Is this true of lipsticks too? When should an old lipstick be thrown out for health reasons? Thank you.

View more questions Search