Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    1991softail Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 10, 2008, 04:21 AM
    John deere185 hydro won't start
    I have a john deere 185 hydro around 10 yrs old.the battry was hooked up backwards at one point ,I have checked fuses.mower won't start with key switch,only by crossing the starter solenoid.it runs for 5 seconds then quits.I have checked all lines to carb and all are getting gas.can you help?
    crigby Posts: 4,343, Reputation: 107
    Outdoor Power Equipment Expert

Sep 11, 2008, 10:04 AM
    Hi,
    You have a 17 HP Kawasaki engine on that machine and it has a solenoid on the carb to shut off the fuel supply. If you cannot hear or feel it open, then you have no fuel supply.
    The battery in backwards will not generally harm that model. You have something else going on. That model generally has problems with ignition swich, harness under dash and PTO switch. The battery is right there with all those components and can cause nasty corrosion problems.
    To give you what I can on the info supplied; the battery voltage enters the wiring harness at the starter solenoid(on the starter) and goes through the PTO switch and ignition switch to reach the starter solenoid trigger. The first wire (in) should be red (solenoid and ignition switch) and blue (PTO switch.) It may or may not go to a brake switch (behind the right hand side panel at the base of the pedestal - dash mounted to top of pedestal.) At any rate the trigger wire should be a light purple in color; if it gets no voltage in the start position, that is the symptom you actually describe. The wire to the anti-backfire solenoid will be yellow or blue. Several carbs and two transmissions were used on that model
    Peace,
    crigby

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

John Deere Hydro 185 won't start [ 4 Answers ]

Tractor ran good last fall, parked it in heated shop, cleaned old gas out, put new battery in, and acts like it is not getting spark?:

John Deere 175 Hydro Lawn Mower - Won't Start or Crank [ 2 Answers ]

I have a John Deere Hydro 175 Lawn Mower riding lawn mower. Just replaced the battery about a month ago, but now the engine won't crank at all. Will start if I jump it from the car, but won't keep running. If I try to engage the blades, it poops out. Any suggestions.

John Deere rider won't start [ 2 Answers ]

WE have tried everything to get our old rider to start! The engine is a Briggs and Straton. New carborator,new spark plugs, new starter, new battery! The plug sparks but itstill won't actually start! The starter spins but no turn over? What should we do next? I have been told about checking...

John Deere L110 won't start [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I am having trouble cranking my John Deere L110. It was running fine then in the middle of mowing I had to stop and when I tried to restart I was hearing a clicking sound when the key was turned. I read a response on this site to a similar problem and tried what was recommended. I have replaced...

View more questions Search