Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    nickste5 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Sep 10, 2008, 01:56 AM
    Dvd-cd/rw drive not working
    I have been asked by a friend to get his laptop optical disk working again. He has a Sony Vaio pcg-grx616mp laptop with a removable dvd-cd/rw drive. When slotted in, it lights up and even starts to spin.

I know power is getting through to this drive because I can see it light up. But what is weird is that is is not detected in the device manager.

I've tried to look up drivers on the Sony web site but cannot find the device drivers for this pice of hard ware.

He has windows xp on it which came pre-installed and currently 512mb of ram

He says that it used to be fine ages ago, but when another friend tried to help him install a usb floppy drive onto his laptop, the dvd-cd/rw drive diapeared from My Computer.

Is there any way I can get the drive to be reconised in the device manager or is there any drivers for the drive. Would that make it work?

Any help would be appriciated.

Many thanks,

Nick :)
    StaticFX Posts: 943, Reputation: 74

Sep 10, 2008, 06:30 AM
    Is the computer OFF when you install the drive?

In device manager, did you try the search for new devices button?

Sep 10, 2008, 10:43 AM
    I installed when it was off and on both don't matter as it won't reconise it no matter what. I've have already done what you have suggested.

Thanks though,

Nick :0)
    StaticFX Posts: 943, Reputation: 74

Sep 10, 2008, 11:01 AM
    Does the Disk drive work?

Make sure no pins got bent... I also checked sony's website and didn't even see the 616 listed? Only a 600 or 650?

Is this Vista?

Sep 11, 2008, 10:57 AM
    Yeah it works as there is power going into the drive and it spins up. It is just that the drive isn't reconised in device manager. It seems that you were looking on the US site for Vaio's.

The 616MP is a UK model as it is listed on the UK Vaio support web site and not the US one. There is however, device drivers for the drive. Although, I am unclear as to wheather the drivers listed is for the drive that I have. I guess I have to find out.

Nick :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Cd Drive not working [ 2 Answers ]

My computer does not see the cd

CD/DVD Drive Isn't Working [ 3 Answers ]

When I put a CD or DVD into my drive, it makes a sound like the disk is skipping, but doesn't get read. The drive IS shown in My Computer, Device Manager, BIOS (CMOS), and System Info (which also all seem to say that the drive is working perfectly). If I right-click on the DVD drive icon in My...

Dvd drive not working [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, my dvd drive is not working, it does not show up on my computer or device manager. So I figured it mite be the dvd drive, so I've bought a new one and still it doesn't show up. Any ideas? Help please.

Dvd Drive Not Working [ 5 Answers ]

This is my first time to ask a question online like this, but I am tired of the tech support emails and phone chats. Anyway, I am running XP Home and suddenly my dvd drive quit on me. It worked fine 3 days ago and now it doing nothing. I have a JLMS DVD-ROM LTD163D. I put a disc in and the light on...

DVD Drive not working [ 4 Answers ]

My DVD Drive is not working.I've checked in the device manager & it is not recognised.I'm unsure of the type. Thanks in advance for any help Dale

View more questions Search