Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    al08 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 10, 2008, 01:08 AM
    Need to format my hard drive.
    Good day, I'm building a computer for my son. I want to load xp pro on to it; it's one of the early xp pro which needs 6 floppies to start loading. The hard drive I have has some rubbish on it which prevents cd from starting after loading the floppies.
    I only have a laptop running at present, is there a program I can burn on my laptop to format my hard drive? Sorry for being long winded couldn't think of another way of putting it. Thanks Al
    WallyHelps Posts: 1,018, Reputation: 136
    Ultra Member

Sep 10, 2008, 05:31 AM
    Al,
    I would suggest Darik's Boot and Nuke to wipe the hard drive. You would download it on a good computer and create a DBAN floppy disk. Then, put it in your son's computer and boot it up. It should nuke the hard-drive for you.

Hope this helps,
    WallyH
    seahwk83 Posts: 3,276, Reputation: 212
    Ultra Member

Sep 10, 2008, 12:53 PM
    Have you checked the BIOS to see if it is set to boot to cd first?

Try this:

Ok, download file below (it is safe, it is my file and upload) To download file, click link below and click Free User on the left and download should start in 25 secs.

This download is a bootable floppy disk with CD Rom support
    RapidShare: Easy Filehosting

-Open file with Winrar or Winzip, whatever you use to open .rar files and there is a temp directory

-Copy all the files in the temp folder onto a blank formatted floppy disk so that the only things you have on the floppy disk are the files that were in the temp folder

-Now you need to put the floppy disk in and your XP CDin the computer you want to install windows to, now restart your computer

You should come to a DOS prompt

-Type d:
    Hit enter

-Type setup and hit enter, this should enter you into the XP set up program
    hannoya Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 26, 2008, 11:57 AM
    Comment on seahwk83's post
    I have virus in da comp... I can't complete da setup so hw can I format it??
    seahwk83 Posts: 3,276, Reputation: 212
    Ultra Member

Sep 26, 2008, 07:39 PM

How to Format Drive and Install Windows from Scratch
    http://lifehacker.com/software/windo...tch-157578.php

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can't format Hard drive [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, Installed a different hard drive into my computer and it will not let me format it. When I get into my computer it shows it as my "C" drive. And that it is a 80 G hard drive, but I have doubled checked the hard drive and it is labeled as a 40 g hard drive. When I check the properties it shows...

How to format hard drive [ 1 Answers ]

I have a Gateway desktop. How do I re-format hard drive? I get message saying it is being used by another application when I know it isn't.

How to format Hard drive? [ 2 Answers ]

Yesterday I was rebooting my PC, I entered DOS Prompt and format my other partitions except C:, which was when formatted answer was that it is used by other programs. If somebody help me out?

How do I format my hard drive [ 6 Answers ]

I have installed at moment a version of windows xp pro and it is in german I have acquired a english version called winborg allin one and it tells me to format before inserting the disc but when I click on the hd it comes up in german telling me something about closing windows but I cannot...

New Hard Drive Installation/Format for XP [ 6 Answers ]

Hi All. Hope you can help me. Ihave just installed a new 250GB hard drive. Can some one please help me on how i install windows ME. Ihave the hard drive set to master. Ihave also a floppy startup disk. hope you can help this essexguy. My home email is [email protected] Many thanks richardxx :)

View more questions Search