Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    murph Posts: 15, Reputation: 2

May 10, 2006, 03:23 AM
    Digitising Documents
    I have owned my own home for 8 years and basically, have kept all documentation pertaining to mortgage, insurance, bills and banking - basically every letter I have, I file. You can imagine over time that space may become an issue and I want to know if I needed to produce any item of correspondence, for example, a claim of some sort, would a digitised copy be acceptable as far as the law permits? I live in the UK and have no dealings with any foreign service providers.
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

May 10, 2006, 04:22 AM
    You'd better keep that stuff. Even if 90% of anyone you might have to provide it for down the road will take a digitized copy, you'd hate to have even one person not accept it if you really needed it.

Box it all up labeling it by year and subject and stick them in a corner of your basement or attic if you have either.
    murph Posts: 15, Reputation: 2

May 10, 2006, 06:09 AM
    Thanks for your response.
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

May 10, 2006, 06:29 AM
    I've got an attic full of stuff that I add to every year, but as I'm boxing up each year, I scan stuff and add to my "important docs" file that has tax returns, social security cards, mortgages, loan stuff, etc. just in case I need quick access to it... and occasionally I've needed it. I guess I've been lucky in what I've chosen to scan, as the few times I've been asked for something, they accepted the scanned copy.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

May 10, 2006, 06:31 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by murph
    I have owned my own home for 8 years and basically, have kept all documentation pertaining to mortgage, insurance, bills and banking - basically every letter I have, I file. You can imagine over time that space may become an issue and I want to know if I needed to produce any item of correspondence, for example, a claim of some sort, would a digitised copy be acceptable as far as the law permits? I live in the UK and have no dealings with any foreign service providers.
    Check with the institutions. In many cases you would be required to produce a copy not the original. So a printout of the digitized image should suffice. I would keep hard copies of documents like your mortgage agreement, inurance policies, etc. But much of your correspondence could be imaged.

In these days when banks are providing imaged versions of cancelled checks the consumer should be able to provide imaged documentation.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Documents Attestation [ 3 Answers ]

Last year 2003, I applied Documentation Attestation To the Portuguese Consulate in Goa. The documents Related to register my birth in Portugal. I have even Telex acknowledgment copy from them. Since then I have Not received any appointment date from Portuguese

Documents [ 6 Answers ]

My ex- wife is trying to get a house but she wants me to sign a document stating that she will stop paying child support and will have custody of they kids... She said that she is only doing it to get in a house and also has a letter of intent for me to sign explaining why she is doing this with no...

My Documents is slow [ 8 Answers ]

Well I'm back with another problem with my old win98 Pentium II... I have a huge amount of documents, files, graphics, etc, located in separate folders in My Documents. Right now I'm sorting through these files and deleting anything I don't need anymore, moving things to different folders, etc....

Scanning documents [ 1 Answers ]

I want to scan an application form to the computer, preferably to Word, and fill it out on the computer. I can get it to Word, but I can't work on it there. Thanks! rugcutter

View more questions Search