Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    17garfield Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 9, 2008, 07:29 PM
    Am I a French citizen?
    According to wikipedia "The inhabitants of Martinique are French citizens with full political and legal rights." So being that my grandmother was born in Martinique, does any French citizenship fall to me? Just curious. I was born in the United States.
    CanaJUB Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Sep 9, 2008, 08:11 PM
    I'm not familiar with the France's constitution, but I wouldn't think that you being born in the States would allow you to be a French citizen. Where were you parents born? Someone I know was born in Canada, but their children are born in the U.S.. . they are not considered Canadian citizens.
    lawanwadee Posts: 3,653, Reputation: 124
    Immigration Expert

Sep 9, 2008, 10:47 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by 17garfield
    According to wikipedia "The inhabitants of Martinique are French citizens with full political and legal rights." So being that my grandmother was born in Martinique, does any French citizenship fall to me? Just curious. I was born in the United States.
    Maybe or maybe not. If your father was not registered as A French citizen by the time he was born, the chance is slim. If your father has dual citizenship but never lived in France, citizenship will not be inherited to you. Check with the nearest French Consulate.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Married to French citizen [ 1 Answers ]

I have been married to a French Citizen for the past 8 years but was married and have lived the whole time in the USA. Can I get a french passport, or would I have to live in France for a period?

US naturalized citizen to become French citizen? [ 0 Answers ]

Hello! I want to know what the process is like to become a French citizen for an American Naturalized Citizen (born in Armenia). My boyfriend is French, and we might get married but we might not. I want to know : 1)how I could be granted French Citizenship without marrying my boyfriend and...

Can French citizen applying for US citizenship keep French nationality too? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi Experts, I am a French citizen with a green card since 1997, that I obtained through marriage. I have been living in the US since then and I would like to apply to a US citizenship but keep my French citizenship as well. Is this possible? Also, I am now separated from my husband. Can I...

View more questions Search