Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bcnunn67 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 9, 2008, 07:01 PM
    Child adbandoment
    Can my ex wife allow her new husband adopt my son if I haven't been able to see him for four years she says I abanded him I've paid child support for 14 years non stop . Idont want this to happen ,can she do this. She lives in tenn we were divorced in Ohio were I still live.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Sep 9, 2008, 07:03 PM
    If you've paid child support you haven't abandoned the child. She should not be able to get an adoption without getting your rights terminated and if you refuse to agree to that they can't do it.
    nickeknew Posts: 167, Reputation: 9

Sep 9, 2008, 07:04 PM
    Was visitation supposed to happen
    stinawords Posts: 2,071, Reputation: 150
    Ultra Member

Sep 9, 2008, 08:14 PM
    No she can't just have him adopt with out your allowing the adoption to take place. If you have been paying support then you have not abandoned the child (whether or not you had visitation). She might petition the court to grant it but all you have to do is show up and tell the judge that you don't want it and it won't happen.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Sep 10, 2008, 05:52 AM
    While I agree with Stinawords, you probably wopuldn't need to show up personally. You could send a legal representative to inform the judge that you do not want to relinquish your rights.
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Sep 10, 2008, 11:36 AM
    Also unless there have been changes along the way keep in mind that at this time if everything was decided in Ohio then they are holding jurisdiction in this matter. So even though she has moved away unless its transferred then things will need to be done in Ohio.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Child Support - 2 child living at separate parents - 1 child turning 18 soon. [ 6 Answers ]

I will try not to make this too long but I went through a 3 year court battle with my ex with our 2 kids who are now 17 (Daughter) and 15 (Son). My son has been living with his dad since he was like 9 because I let him. Court battle was dropped due to judge thinking my ex was lying after 3 years...

Legal age in Indiana to stop child support for a child in college [ 4 Answers ]

I need to know when I can legally stop paying support on my step son who is going to be 22 and is still in college

I want to give custody of my unborn child to the father before the child is born [ 2 Answers ]

I am pregnant and wish to give custody to the father before the child is born

Child care expense credit ffor a resident alien child with ITIN [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I am a resident alien on a J1 (do not get W2) while my husband is on J2 and gets W2. Can I claim child care expense credit for my resident alien son who has a ITIN? I was wondering this since I might not qualify for earned income but my husband income does, can we claim the child care expense...

View more questions Search