Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tcbmarie Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 9, 2008, 06:40 PM
    Who is entitled to property
    My mother in law passed away leaving no will, but several properties. The family is arguing about who is entitled to monies gained from the sale of the properties. She had six children, two of whom are deceased. Do the remaining 4 children split four ways or do the heirs of the two deceased children get a portion of the sale as well as the living children.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Sep 9, 2008, 06:43 PM
    This will depend on the law of the state where the deceased people lived when they died. In some states all children living or dead would be entitled, in other states only living children would have a claim.

Since without a will, they can not sell the properties without going though probate court anyway, this should be a mute issue, All family members who wish to file a claim do so in court.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Sep 9, 2008, 06:44 PM
    This generally depends on what state you are, but in most states, the surviving children, would split the estate.

Since there is no will, an executor MUST be appointed by the probate court. Otherwise the properties can't be sold. The probate judge will advise the executor on the distribution of assets.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What he is entitled to [ 6 Answers ]

Hi my mother inlaw has been divorced for about 23yrs... she has been with her new partner for about 20yrs... she recently passed away. Her will says that the house belongs entirely to her boys. My question, is her partner entitled to half the house although her will says no. Please note that we...

How much is my baby entitled to? [ 4 Answers ]

I gave birth to a baby nearly 4 weeks ago and me and her father split up while I was pregnant. He has agreed to pay his way for her and he sees our baby at least 2 days a week. I was just wondering, what percentage of his wages should be going towards the baby?Having a baby is very expensive and I...

Am I entitled to proceeds form a property I co-signed? [ 1 Answers ]

If I co-signed a loan for a property and was on the deed, am I entitled to any of the proceeds from the sale of the property?

If she's with him, what am I entitled to? [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, I have a question concerning my separation and divorce proceedings. In march of 2007 my wife asked that I move out of our apartment, which I did under the impression that she needed a break and wanted some time to herself. Within 30 days I received a phone call from her asked that I remove...

Am I entitled any of the property value should we divorce [ 3 Answers ]

My husband inherited a house a year before we married. Since then we have added me onto the title and remortgaged the property. Am I entitled to any of it should we divorce?

View more questions Search