Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ahmedt92 Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Sep 9, 2008, 05:20 PM
    How can the electroencephalograph (EEG) be used to know what is the man thinking in?
    It is well known that the electroencephalograph (EEG) can read brain signals to be used for some medical uses but can the electroencephalograph (EEG) be used in some way or another to know what is the man thinking in ? For example when man's brain refuse or accept something can the electroencephalograph (EEG) detect that? Or how far can the electroencephalograph (EEG) detect from the man's brain from feeling, thoughts, sensing, reactions, etc…………….
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Sep 10, 2008, 06:32 AM
    Is this homework?

Sep 14, 2008, 08:36 PM
    No it isn't
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Sep 14, 2008, 09:31 PM
    If the questions that you have been posting aren't homework, then why are you posting them, please? They sure look like homework questions to a lot of us here.

Thanks!
    IsleWerk Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

May 4, 2009, 02:48 PM
    As I am currently researching the use of electroencephalograph technology for a client, I can tell you that, to date, at least in what has been published, no, one cannot use an electroencephalograph to KNOW exactly what a person is thinking. However, it can be used to identify the TYPE of brain activity that is primary at a point in time through identification of Brain wave types.

An EEG records wave patterns of Electrical brain activity. Among the basic waveforms are the alpha, beta, theta, and delta rhythms.

Alpha waves occur at a frequency of 8 to 12 cycles per second in a regular rhythm.
    Beta waves occur at a frequency of 13 to 30 cycles per second.
    Theta waves occur at a frequency of 4 to 7 cycles per second.
    Delta waves occur at a frequency of 0.5 to 3.5 cycles per second.

Even though this electrical power is very limited, it does occur in very specific ways that are characteristic of the human brain. Electrical activity emanating from the brain is displayed in the form of brainwaves. As outlined above, there are four detectable categories of these brainwaves, ranging from the most activity to the least activity.

When the brain is aroused and actively engaged in mental activities, it generates beta waves. These beta waves are of relatively low amplitude, and are the fastest of the four different brainwaves. The frequency of beta waves ranges from 15 to 40 cycles a second. Beta waves are characteristics of a strongly engaged mind. A person in active conversation would be in beta. A debater would be in high beta. A person making a speech, or a teacher, or a talk show host would all be in beta when they are engaged in their work.

The next brainwave category in order of frequency is alpha. Where beta represented arousal, alpha represents non-arousal. Alpha brainwaves are slower, and higher in amplitude. Their frequency ranges from 9 to 14 cycles per second. A person who has completed a task and sits down to rest is often in an alpha state. A person who takes time out to reflect or meditate is usually in an alpha state. A person who takes a break from a conference and walks in the garden is often in an alpha state.

The next state, theta brainwaves, are typically of even greater amplitude and slower frequency. This frequency range is normally between 5 and 8 cycles a second. A person who has taken time off from a task and begins to daydream is often in a theta brainwave state. A person who is driving on a freeway, and discovers that they can't recall the last five miles, is often in a theta state--induced by the process of freeway driving. The repetitious nature of that form of driving compared to a country road would differentiate a theta state and a beta state in order to perform the driving task safely. There are many who believe that this Brain wave can be achieved intentionally and can facilitate mind over body activity such as 'healing'.

Individuals who do a lot of freeway driving often get good ideas during those periods when they are in theta. Individuals who run outdoors often are in the state of mental relaxation that is slower than alpha and when in theta, they are prone to a flow of ideas. This can also occur in the shower or tub or even while shaving or brushing your hair. It is a state where tasks become so automatic that you can mentally disengage from them. The ideation that can take place during the theta state is often free flow and occurs without censorship or guilt. It is typically a very positive mental state.

The final brainwave state is delta. Here the brainwaves are of the greatest amplitude and slowest frequency. They typically center around a range of 1.5 to 4 cycles per second. They never go down to zero because that would mean that you were brain dead. But, deep dreamless sleep would take you down to the lowest frequency. Typically, 2 to 3 cycles a second.

When we go to bed and read for a few minutes before attempting sleep, we are likely to be in low beta. When we put the book down, turn off the lights and close our eyes, our brainwaves will descend from beta, to alpha, to theta and finally, when we fall asleep, to delta.

Again, this information is derived from my recent research. Here are some references used.

Electroencephalogram (EEG) (Electroencephalography, Brain Wave Test): Oregon Health & Science University - Portland, Oregon
    https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/newrep...te=1&p=1266160
    Electroencephalography - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jun 2, 2009, 01:41 AM
    Thank you vey much
    IsleWerk Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jun 2, 2009, 06:57 AM
    [QUOTE=J_9;1267111]Is this homework?[/QUOTE

Who cares?
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Jun 18, 2009, 05:33 AM
    [QUOTE=IsleWerk;1771771]
    Quote Originally Posted by J_9 View Post
    Is this homework?[/QUOTE

Who cares?
    We don't help with homework IsleWerk. It is against our policies.

Tick

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I've been thinking about my ex lately [ 6 Answers ]

My girlfriend of a year and a half dumped me out of nowhere 2 months ago. Directly after I experienced the most intense grief I had ever experienced in my life for about two weeks. It was worse than when I had a family member die, I mean this girl was my future, we had plans to move in together and...

I've been thinking about this. [ 4 Answers ]

I really really want to know the name of this movie. But I just can't seem to put my finger on it. Its really been bugging me. The movie is a kids animated movie like cartoon. It is about these animals who live in the woods, they getting taught by this old badger who shows them the ways of the...

While I am thinking of it [ 6 Answers ]

I have been wanting to move to Arizona for about three years now but it never works out. I am hoping that within the next year or so I am actually able to do it BUT I have heard that some states like Colorado have banned some dogs like Pit Bulls. Does anybody know where I can get information on...

What is he really thinking? [ 1 Answers ]

There is this guy I always like and he always had a girlfriend. I work with his mother and recently he came into the office and subtly dropped the hint that him and his girlfriend recently broke up. A week later he called me to ask if I was going out, we met up and were talking and hang out for...

Why am I thinking of her... [ 14 Answers ]

I recently (last few days) have been thinking a lot about a girl (woman now) I use to work with. We never dated and I have no idea if she liked me or was even interested. I highly doubt she was. I did ask her out to dinner, she accepted, but later declined for no reason. I found out weeks later...

View more questions Search