Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    susanfusan Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 9, 2008, 04:54 PM
    Roommate not on lease bails on utilities and deposit
    Hello,

I live in a house with 3 other girls and recently another girl moved in. the 4 of us who had already moved in before her split the security deposit for which her portion was about $900. She wasn't put on the lease but since we all knew each other, we decided that it would be okay if she moved in and paid us the security deposit later. She has lived here for about 3 months until recently she moved out-- leaving a mess downstairs, 3 months worth of utilities and her portion of the deposit unpaid. Well my question is: is there any legal action I can take to recover the money she owes on the deposit as well as the utilities?

Thanks,
    Susan
    jayrere1 Posts: 3, Reputation: 0

Sep 9, 2008, 05:19 PM
    There is nothing you can do because you have nothing in writing and I know that's not what you wanted to hear but everything now a days needs to be in writing. You can lie to her and make up some paper work to make it look like she has to pay or you will take her to court and see if she goes for that !
    LisaB4657 Posts: 3,662, Reputation: 534
    Expert

Sep 9, 2008, 07:02 PM
    You won't be able to sue her for a share of the security deposit since she would've been entitled to a refund of that amount (minus any damage she caused) after she moved out. But you can sue her for the money she owes for utilities.

If she moved out without giving you or your roommates the proper notice then you can also sue her for 30 days of rent.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Sep 9, 2008, 07:07 PM
    Please ignore jayrere1's response, it is legally an ethically incorrect.

Verbal agreements are enforceable. All you need to do is prove that she was living there (do you have any mail addressed to her?). You can then sue her for any unpaid rental, unpaid utilities, repairs for damages etc.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Breaking a joint lease with a roommate who refused to pay the utilities [ 1 Answers ]

Here is my situation. I was living for two years in an apartment complex and was an ideal tenant always paying my rent and utilities. My neighbor, who I got to know by grilling in the evenings etc, came to me and said he was having surgery and would be on disability but it would not be enough to...

Roommate refuses to pay utilities [ 2 Answers ]

My roommate moved out over a month ago now, and refuses to pay bills for gas and electricity. She didn't sign a lease but the landlord knew she was here and collected the rent from her monthly. What can I do to get the payment? Is it my responsibility or the landlords?

Former roommate broke lease, now wants half of security deposit [ 2 Answers ]

In 2004, I signed a joint lease in New York City with a friend. Both of our names appeared on the lease, and we both paid half of the security. A year later (2005), after we'd both renewed the lease, she announced that she was moving back home. She gave me two weeks notice and then left. She...

Roommate bails on Lease [ 2 Answers ]

I am wondering what legal action can be taken against a roommate who has bailed on the lease. Both names are on the lease and I do not want to have bad credit as a result of their stupidity. I am wondering if there is any way I can legally get the money out of them to help cancel the lease. At the...

View more questions Search