Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Dave Ermeling Posts: 173, Reputation: 3

Sep 23, 2008, 06:18 PM
    Updated drawing. The shower doors should hopefully hide any obvious difference.

Sep 23, 2008, 06:20 PM
    Oops, forgot the drawing.
    Attached Images

Sep 23, 2008, 07:05 PM

What's the best way to cut various thicknesses of firring strips? I don't have a table saw. I'd have to use my circular saw or have some cut for me somewhere.
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Sep 23, 2008, 07:12 PM
    Hi Dave...

If no table saw then safest to use circular saw and cut strips of plywood... comes in 1/4", 3/8", 1/2", etc...

Otherwise, have someone cut pieces for you.

Will the door hide the transition... including under the threshold?

Sep 23, 2008, 07:32 PM

I need some 1/4", some 3/8" some 1/2" and some 5/8". I don't want to buy a whole sheet of each thickness. I wonder if Home Depot or Lowe's would rip some from a couple 2x10's. I'm not sure I know what you mean by "Will the door hide the transition...including under the threshold?". Also, what were you saying about the walls out of plumb? They should be plumb, I framed the walls and checked all that.
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Sep 24, 2008, 04:24 AM
    Dave...

What are the two transition pieces you show in your picture? Are these a marble border? If so, then why do you need to fir anything out?

I don't think HD or Lowe's can rip anything lengthwise for you... only crosscut..?

If need to fir anything out then could buy 1/4" flat stock pine, 3/8" lath, use 1/2" sheetrock strips for 1/2"... just use longer screws, and could overlap the 3/8" lathe with the 1/4" flat stock for the 5/8"... just some more ideas...

Let me know.

Sep 25, 2008, 04:05 PM

Mark, in order for the marble walls to fit down inside the lip around the shower base I need to fir out right? I like the idea of using the 1/4" and 3/8" for the 5/8". Does Home Depot or Lowes sell 1/4" flat stock pine? What is 3/8" lath?
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Sep 25, 2008, 05:14 PM
    Yes... got you. You need to fir out wall so base meets wall.

Home depot or Lowe's sells 1/4" x 1.25" wide x 8' long flat stock... should be in the finish trim aisle... perfect for this as studs are 1.5" wide.

3/8" wood lathe comes in bundles of 3/8"x 1.25" x 3' lengths (like $7.00). This is the wood lathe that plasterers would apply to studs with 1/4" spacing inbetween pieces and then lay down structolite material in series to build walls! That I know of, this lathe is primarily sold for the purpose of firring out walls today so really appropriate here.

Lay the lathe onto studs first then put the 1/4". Lathe tends to split if using screws so use nails here.

Talk later...

Sep 25, 2008, 09:43 PM

Ok, sounds good. I'll look for these items this weekend. I think I'm going to bring my 90 deg. Drill home from work to use with the inside pipe cutter. I think it will give me better control.
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Sep 26, 2008, 03:56 AM
    Hey Dave...

Use a regular drill for cutting the pipe... better control as you are up closer. When cutting the whole deal centers around pushing oin drill/inside cutter sideways while making cut.

My opinion, but I have tried the angle drill for this cut and I lost the power I had pushing sideways... ;)

Just FYI.

Good day.

Sep 29, 2008, 06:28 PM

Mark, I made a test cut and the 90deg drill worked pretty well for me. I had another quick question though. Looking at the rubber donut from the No-caulk drain, it says "This side up for 2" but it seems like that's the side that would go down since it has an angle to it and would seem to wedge against the bottom of the brass drain. What's your thought on this?
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Sep 30, 2008, 03:58 PM
    Hi Dave...

I'm honestly not 100% sure here.

I know what you are asking and I know what is obvious. I have always set rubber so it matched the contour of the drain... like you are wondering. I also never had any leaks, but now you have me wondering here... hmmm..?

Let me check into it and I'll let you know... ok?

Sep 30, 2008, 05:15 PM

Ok, I might try to get ahold of somebody at Oatey until I hear anything back from you. Thanks for the help.

Sep 30, 2008, 06:25 PM
    Mark, I went to Oatey's web site and found these instructions. It says the beveled side goes up and to cut the pipe so it's flush with the rubber donut/sleeve.
    Attached Images

Attached Images
  1. File Type: pdf drainhowto.pdf (168.1 KB, 193 views)
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Oct 1, 2008, 03:51 AM
    Then beveled side up it is!!

Seems the compression ring compresses the beveled part of donut to make the seal. Makes sense when I thought about it!

Oct 1, 2008, 04:00 PM

I guess so. I got an e-mail back from them and here is what they had to say.
    "The bevelled edge should be facing up. Before tightening the locking nut make sure the drain pipe is about 1/8" above the bevelled edge. I have attached the instructions below.
    http://www.oatey.com/apps/catalog/in...alk-drains.jpg "
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Oct 1, 2008, 05:42 PM
    Funny... step 4 looks nothing like drain pipe 1/8" above rubber donut!

Hey, that sounds about right, by the way... but be sure to tie that drain wrench to a long piece of string in case the drain wrench falls into the drain when you are tightening the compression ring!

Been awhile since I installed one... been installing custom showers and cast iron tubs last couple years!

I think they make a new wrench for tightening the compression ring... try the one you have and if that fails miserably let me know and I will get info. On newer wrench style... ;)

Thanks Dave.

Oct 1, 2008, 06:16 PM

Yes, the photo doesn't really show it well. I cut the pipe to within about 1/4", soaped up the black donut, shoved it in the drain and installed the nut and tightned it with the flat little wrench that came with it. Then I cut the pipe to within about 1/8" of the donut. Hope it doesn't leak,, :)
    scotty47 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 13, 2012, 09:00 AM
    Great article, I am also installing a cultured marble shower base with no instructions provided only I will be tiling, I have a 1/4" gap between the base and the denshield backerboard, should I fill this with something before I tile or leave it empty.

Thanks... scotty
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Oct 13, 2012, 09:39 AM
    Hi Scotty

Fill the 1/4" gap with the adhesive you'll be using to put tile on the wall... that, or a mildew-reistant silicone... ;)

Mark

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Tile & Cultured Marble [ 2 Answers ]

Can one rough up and tile right over 1/4" Cultured Marble wall panels?

Custom Dimensioned Shower Base Options [ 1 Answers ]

I'm designing a custom dimensioned shower to maximize space in an oddly shaped room. The shower will be constructed between 3 permanent walls and will use a "partial" neo-angle frameless glass wall and door. What is my best option in terms of appearance and durability? Poured concrete? Or...

Cultured Marble Tub? [ 2 Answers ]

OK guys, got to good deal on a large cultured marble tub + surround from local manufacter. My first pick was a large cast iron tub but no way for me to easily move it in the house. Cultured marble man is going to install the tub and surround for me. The material looks very strong and durable. ...

View more questions Search