Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    anthonydaffe Posts: 13, Reputation: 1

Sep 9, 2008, 01:39 PM
    J-1 Visa third year contract required to have retirement plan?
    Hello

Both my husband and myself are on J-1 teaching visas. We have just started our third year with the school and have been informed that we now have to make contributions to a retirement plan. As exchange teachers on J-1, are we obliged to have a retirement plan? It seems that since we are not permanent residents, we are being asked to pay towards something that we may not benefit from. Please advise.
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Sep 11, 2008, 07:22 PM
    After two years on J1 as teacher, you will be resident for the purpose of taxes in the third year. It is your choice to invest in the retirement plan. You can refuse to invest in the retirement plan.
    To learn more about 401(k), read Your U.S. Tax Return: Elective Deferrals 401(k) Plans

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Any retirement plan for a professional Alien? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi everybody! How to benefit from any US retirement plan as an professional independent alien, living outside the USA and member of a recognized American freelancers Association? Thank you all so much for your answers. Joss

Helping Mr. Road plan his retirement. [ 1 Answers ]

Old Alfred Road, who is well-known to drivers on the Maine Turnpike, has reached his 70th birthday and is ready to retire. Mr. Road has no formal training in finance but has saved his money and invested carefully. Mr. Road owns his home - the mortgage is paid off - and does not want to move. He...

Withdrawing my 401K & Retirement plan [ 1 Answers ]

I will be moving out of state and am looking into withdrawing my 401K to pay my debt and moving expenses since I will be unemployed for a short period. I have about $47K in my 401K Plan and $24K in my Retirement Plan. I know I will pay a 10% penalty. Are the tax consequences/penalties the same...

Retirement plan contribution [ 7 Answers ]

I am in my companies retirement plan through American funds. When I first stared 1 1/2 years ago. After three months they started taking money out of my check to companies in there retirement plan. How do they have the right to take money out of my check without my consent? Is this legal? I...

How should a 26yr old invest/plan for retirement? [ 5 Answers ]

I'm a single 26yr old trying to be financially responsible while working part-time and going to school part time. I’ve tried talking to my bank employees but I think they just want me to purchase their plans. I don't have or make enough to warrant paying for investment advice. I'm concerned that...

View more questions Search