Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    chenababy Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 9, 2008, 11:46 AM
    Judgement awarded
    I am from California and have been awarded a judgement against someone in South Carolina, I need to know if I have to hire a PI to find bank accounts or if there is a way I can do it myself (I have limited funds due to $10k in attorney fees already). My judgement is for approx 80k

any information would be appreciated
    thank you
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Sep 9, 2008, 05:11 PM
    Well assuming they have not already hiden their funds
    ** the time to find the funds is before the judgment is awarded and you are ready the day of the award to freeze accounts.

I mean only a fool would have a judgement, know about it and just leave their money in the bank.

But yes, you most likely will need to hire a PI.

** also you do realise a large percent of judgements are never collected.
    chenababy Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 10, 2008, 07:16 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by chenababy
    I am from California and have been awarded a judgement against someone in South Carolina, I need to know if I have to hire a PI to find bank accounts or if there is a way I can do it myself (I have limited funds due to $10k in attorney fees already). My judgement is for approx 80k

any information would be appreciated
    thank you
    The person does NOT know about the judgement - it was served via publication - I personally found the following assets: house, motorhome. Would I have to hire one in South Carolina?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Sep 10, 2008, 07:40 AM
    You may not be able to attach a personal residence, though the motorhome might be attachable. You would need to present the assets to the court that issued the judgement and ask for a writ of attachment. You can then hire a sheriff in SC to execute those writs.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Are certificates awarded by Canyon College recognized? [ 2 Answers ]

I am currently taking a distance learning Grief Counseling Program at Canyon College in Idaho. I have seen that this school is not accredited by CHEA. I already have B.S. and M.S. degrees from accredited universities, but want to practice in the field of Grief Counseling in Illinois. Will the...

Costody awarded to an older sibling is it possible [ 1 Answers ]

In October of last year my two younger siblings were placed in foster care. In August of this year my dad goes back to court to get them back however he isn't stable enough to take care of them and neither is his wife which is there step mother. I however am the oldest sibling do I stand a chance...

Will after sole custody has been awarded [ 6 Answers ]

After Sole Legal Custody is granted, If I would die and have a Will made up for the child to go to a honest, reliable couple. Would the Will stand or would the bio get first dibs.

Buying out a court awarded pension from divorce [ 2 Answers ]

My divorce was finale on Tuesday. The court awarded part of my Husbannd's pension to me. I am wanting my husband to buy out the pension so I could have cash now. Are there penalities and tax liabilities if he pays me cash for the pension amount? I would think that he would be saving going...

Selling small claims amount that was awarded [ 3 Answers ]

I won a small claims case and I am wondering is there some way to sell the amount to a third party because the person would take 3 years to pay the amount at the amount the judge allowed.

View more questions Search