Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Galveston1 Posts: 362, Reputation: 53

Sep 9, 2008, 09:41 AM
    Do we have an armada in the Persian Gulf?
    I just read an article by Gary North that says the US and Allies have an armada in the Persian Gulf, and that there is a news black-out in Western countries. What have you who are careful observers heard about it? The article paints a very bad picture.
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Sep 9, 2008, 09:58 AM
    Considering the fact that there is a planned war games with the Indian navy in October ,and also recently completed exercises with the French and UK navies in the Atlantic (Operation Brimstone );along with the existing deployments of the USS Abraham Lincoln and the USS Peleliu carrier groups ,it is possible that there is a build-up . There are reports that the USS Ronnie Reagan ,the Teddy Roosevelt and the Iwo Jima are on the way . I can only confirm that the Lincoln and Peleliu groups are already there .

It is possible that an Iranian blockade is being considered.
    Galveston1 Posts: 362, Reputation: 53

Sep 9, 2008, 11:10 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tomder55
    considering the fact that there is a planned war games with the Indian navy in October ,and also recently completed exercises with the French and UK navies in the Atlantic (Operation Brimstone );along with the existing deployments of the USS Abraham Lincoln and the USS Peleliu carrier groups ,it is possible that there is a build-up . There are reports that the USS Ronnie Reagan ,the Teddy Roosevelt and the Iwo Jima are on the way . I can only confirm that the Lincoln and Peleliu groups are already there .

it is possible that an Iranian blockade is being considered.
    I respect your opinion. What do you see as consequences if such a blockade is done? North paints a pretty grim picture, and I would like to see some other informed opinions.
    Ultra Member

Sep 9, 2008, 11:47 AM
    More on exercises :

On Aug. 31, the U.S. and Britain finished five days of naval exercises in the Central and Southern Arabian Gulf. According to the U.S. Navy, the mobilization, called “Exercise Goalkeeper,” focused on “command and control in locating and tracking specific vessels deemed to pose a threat to Coalition nations in the Gulf region. The exercise also allows Coalition teams to board the vessel and practice the procedures for handing them over to Coast Guard ships.”

So the build up could be just a coincidence or ramping up pressure on Iran without taking action

I have to think about the ramifications of a blockade and get back to you . The dynamic changed a little with the Ruskie invasion of Georgia. On the surface it would impact their ability to import refined gas more than their ability to export oil. But it would I'm sure have a huge impact on the price of oil .

This Gary North guy was a Y2K alarmist so I think he is prone to a little bit of the chicken-little syndrome. It really is not unusual for us and our allies to conduct joint exercises. The extra force in the region could also just be normal rotation... 2 in 2 out. My guess is that there would be no support for a blockade ;that President Bush is riding his time out and that the EU would not participate in such a move ;and that the Ruskies would block it in the UNSC.

But if I have additional thoughts I'll get back... I'll ask some people I know who have more knowledge about such things.
    Ultra Member

Sep 9, 2008, 04:37 PM
    some factors to consider
    The Bush Adm has been pretty silent about Iran since the Ruskie attack on Georgia. We also know that UN sanctions are not going to happen because of the Ruskie veto ability.After the Ruskie invasion Assad of Syria rushed to Moscow to get marching orders ;the Iranians did not.

VP Cheney is in the region and I would not rule out unofficial negotiations between him and the Ruskies or even Iran . This week the US handed to Iraq's control an area that the MEK ,an anti-Iranian group ,had been operating out of. There are reports that the Maliki government will not give them safe haven to operate anymore.

That move as well as the silence from the Bush administration could mean that we are no longer ramping up the pressure on Iran. My guess is that this is part of a deal made to stop Iranian interference in the internal affairs of Iraq.

But still unanswered in the equation is the continued defiance by the Iranians over their nuke program and if the Bush administration has decided to punt on the issue until the next administration is in place .

And emerging as an even bigger potential problem in my book is Iranian terrorists (Hezbollah) setting up camp in Venezuela ;especially since Venezuela is a hub for human smuggling into the United States.But I hear nothing from our political class about this. Instead they like the EU will pass a meaningless resolution demanding sanctions on Iran... and will do nothing about it. I think Gary North knows this to be true ;but is interested in selling more gold coins to his audience.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Sep 10, 2008, 04:20 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Galveston1
    What do you see as consequences if such a blockade is done? North paints a pretty grim picture, and I would like to see some other informed opinions.
    Hello Gal:

A blockade is an act of war. If the dufus does it, all HELL will break loose. He probably WILL do it. He really is pretty stupid.

excon
    Ultra Member

Sep 10, 2008, 04:57 AM
    Ex Given that the existential threat is to Israel ; if Israel attacks Iran before the new year would you support it ? And would you support US efforts to assist them?
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Sep 10, 2008, 05:04 AM
    Hello tom:

No. Not until we KNOW that they're about to get a weapon. And, we don't know that. It's true, I don't trust that the dufus would tell the truth.

I DO believe, however, that the dufus IS setting up to attack Iran in his last days, weapon or not. He just wants to give the finger to the world.

excon
    Ultra Member

Sep 10, 2008, 05:21 AM
    The Israelis did not wait for Saddam to get a weapon ;and last year they did not wait until Syria got one. Were they wrong to be proactive ?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

2005 Nissan Armada map sensor [ 1 Answers ]

Where is the map sensor for a 2005 Nissan Armada located?

Movie in Waterfront Gulf? Bar, writer, shootout at end [ 2 Answers ]

Pre-2001 movie with a Nick Nolte/William Hurt - type who might be a writer who leaves city life for a Gulf Bar-restaurant; lives in the back room, watching videos? Woman interest is a Helen Hunt/Laura Dern - type. Something about a phone booth outside the bar-restaurant; place's name might be a...

Persian Speedwell [ 3 Answers ]

Does anyone know how to kill Persian Speedwell? Non of the off the shelf stuff seems to work and I'm being invaded!

Translating a text to Hindi, Chinese, Persian and other langu-for international peace [ 1 Answers ]

Dear Friends of all nations, We are currently working on a artistic-spiritual-political non-commercial project aimed to bring unity, understanding and communication between members of all countries. The translations we need will be part of a series of videos which will be uploaded on Youtube...

Persian Gulf Oil Spill [ 4 Answers ]

I'm doing a small report on the oil spill. The persian gulf oil spill. I've a few questions. What caused the spill? What was the effect? If anyone knows, please help. Thanks.

View more questions Search