Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    arunasampat Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Sep 9, 2008, 08:20 AM
    U.S. passport and Indian visa
    I hold a current U.S. passport. I am resident in India with my husband and family. The nearest visa office, in Pune, Maharasthra State, refuses to renew my visa (expires Oct. 10, 2008) because of corruption within their own office. I have committed no offense of any kind. What is the most quick way to resolve this problem before Oct. 10? How can I apply for dual U.S./Indian citizenship and passport? Thank you for your help.
    Aruna Sampat
    lawanwadee Posts: 3,653, Reputation: 124
    Immigration Expert

Sep 9, 2008, 12:19 PM
    How can you apply for dual citizenship? Is either one of your parents a US citizen? Were you born in US? What kind of visa you're talking about? Need full details.

Sep 10, 2008, 09:17 AM
    Dear Lawanadee,
    I was born in the U.S. of Indian parents and therefore hold U.S. citizenship and a valid, current U.S. passport. I am married to a man who is resident in India and employed there, and we have a daughter, also resident in India. However, I also have family and friends in the U.S. and visit there when I can. For many years I have simply renewed my Indian visa each time it came due, applying at the local office. This time the officials told me that because of corruption in their office, they could not trust their own records, and they therefore could not renew my visa. I understand that dual U.S./Indian citizenship and passports are now permitted, and I wish to add Indian citizenship and passport to those of the U.S. Can you tell me how to do this? Thank you very much for any help you can give.
    Sincerely yours, Aruna Sampat
    lawanwadee Posts: 3,653, Reputation: 124
    Immigration Expert

Sep 10, 2008, 01:34 PM
    India does not recognized dual citizenship. This is the key issue in your case. In some countries, though dual citizenship is not recognized but it's allowed in case that person was born overseas.

About the passport, please note that India is the only country that put parents names, spouse name, etc. in there. US passports contain only name, DOB, citizenship, date and place issued. No additional info allowed, so you cannot add Indian citizenship in US passport.

If you are unable to obtain Indian visa using US passport, better get an attorney.

Sep 11, 2008, 09:00 AM
    Dear Lawanadee,
    Thank you very much for your help. I shall pursue this as suggested.
    Best regards,
    Aruna Sampat

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Indian Passport renewal [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I would like to renew my passport. I would like to know if I do not live within Jurisdiction area of NY india cosulate can I go to NY Indian cosulate? Or I have to go to my area ? Thanks Help321

Indian applying for Portuguese passport [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I have a friend, who is a goan indian, is born and brought-up in goa.She is about 34years old. What is the procedure to apply for Portuguese passport?

F1 visa, Indian passport, how does tax refund work? [ 4 Answers ]

I am on an F1 visa on an indian passport. Worked on OPT for 5 months. I wanted to find out how the tax refunds works & if I could apply for additional tax refunds since I need to sponsor myself for my master's?

View more questions Search