Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bevans67 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 9, 2006, 08:35 AM
    Upgrading Windows ME (FAT32) without formatting the hard drive
    I recently bought my wife an Ipod Nano and it requires Windows 2000 w/ SP4 (or higher) to run the iTunes software. I ordered the Service Pack 4 and when it arrived, I put in the disk and the directions said that I couldn't load SP4 to the ME OS (it would have to be loaded to Windows 2000). I was wondering what can be done? I am not sure if I can upgrade ME to 2000, then load the SP4 disk or partition the hard drive and load Windows XP on the other half of the partition? If I try to load the SP4 anyway, will it 'blow up' my system? Please help. Thanks.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

May 9, 2006, 09:02 AM
    1. Windows 2000 SP4 is only for Windows 2000
    2. you cannot upgrade from Windows ME to Windows 2000
    3. you CAN upgrade from ME to XP Home Upgrade (the cheapest solution) which would be the recommended course here.
    bevans67 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 9, 2006, 09:46 AM
    Thanks for the advice NeedKarma. Is ME upgradable to XP Pro or just XP Home? Will this upgrade wipe out my current files and desktop programs? Will this upgrade work with a borrowed XP boot disk? Thanks for your help!
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

May 9, 2006, 10:02 AM
    From that link you can see that yes you can upgrade to XP Pro from ME.

The upgrade process does not wipe out any data or applications.

A borrowed XP disc wouldn't work because you would not be able to activate your copy of XP since the key will have already been used.
    LTheobald Posts: 1,051, Reputation: 127
    Ultra Member

May 10, 2006, 12:28 AM
    Quick note: Unless you are a business user there really is no need to get XP Pro. Check out the differences here.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Windows 98/Harddrive Question [ 4 Answers ]

Good Morning, If anyone would be able to assist me I would greatly appreciate it. My PC just stop powering on all of a sudden. I was wondering if I can just go by another hard drive or do I have to install a brand new mother board all together. In addition, is there anyway I can retrieve data...

Formatting the hard drive without a floppy [ 22 Answers ]

Hi I have a problem with my laptop. What happened is that when I turn my computer on it won't boot. It just has a black screen with a white curser at the top left side. I have tried to reinstall with the recover cds. But the hard drive is full and it won't let me. I think it has a virus or...

Upgrading from ME to Windows XP [ 1 Answers ]

What is the difficulty rating in upgrading from ME to XP and should I back up ME prior to the upgrade.

Third party software for windows nt to read fat32 [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, Can you tell me what third party software is used for windows nt to read fat32??

View more questions Search