Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ajayraju Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Sep 9, 2008, 03:56 AM
    I would like to share my excel sheet with multi users to view / edit
    Is there a way to share a excel sheet on the internet like we have a shared document?
    The basic idea is I have a excel sheet with some data which needs to be updated by so many people in my business circle. Now it should be a easy way and people should be able to view and edit that particular excel sheet at the same time. This sharing should be used on the internet using VPN, FTP anything..

Any solution to the above problem?

Thanks,
    Ajay
    StaticFX Posts: 943, Reputation: 74

Sep 9, 2008, 05:32 AM
    You can't do that. With excel, if more than one person was to open a sheet. The second person is told that the sheet is read only... any data changes won't be for the other person using the sheet. You would need to have a database backend with some sort of front end that hooks in.
    ajayraju Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Sep 9, 2008, 05:35 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by StaticFX
    You can't do that. With excel, if more than one person was to open a sheet. the second person is told that the sheet is read only... any data changes wont be for the other person using the sheet. You would need to have a database backend with some sort of front end that hooks in.
    " Could you please tell me how to do it? how do we set up such a shared document"
    JBeaucaire Posts: 5,426, Reputation: 997
    Software Expert

Sep 9, 2008, 08:21 AM
    I know it doesn't sound like it to you, but you're actually asking for something HUGE. This isn't a simple little "how do I fix this" question.

To do what you are wanting will require you to lay a foundation for private WAN or VPN with some sort of shared document rights over the VPN. Further, as noted above, multiple people accessing the document would be problematic.

Further, the PROPER solution is some sort of web-based database with an HTML front end (web-style) for people to add data to the database. Perhaps you would use Excel to view reports or data from the database, but you wouldn't enter data IN Excel.

Anyway, I hope you understand this is several magnitudes above what you can expect from an "ask a question, get a fix" site like this. You need a VPN/WAN/Database/Data Warehouse/Reporting expert, someone local who can come to your establishment and create the entire solution for you... mostly so they can support it when you want to change it.

... and trust me, once you start using tools at THIS level, you will be adapting them all the time.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Sep 9, 2008, 08:24 AM
    The easiest way is to setup a VPN so people can connect to a central server.
    JBeaucaire Posts: 5,426, Reputation: 997
    Software Expert

Sep 9, 2008, 02:11 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem
    the easiest way is to setup a VPN so people can connect to a central server.
    LOL, that sounds so simple, doesn't it?
    Rikk2504 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 16, 2008, 10:12 PM
    Use MS share point and don't live so complicated. This will allow you to house the spreadsheet in one place and have other people check it out update it and then save it back for all to see the changes. It will also do versioning so if errors are made you will be able to revert back to a previous version.

Unless you use a database as a back end you will never be able to have multiple users in the same file at the same time. You have to think about it in the first come first serve basis. If you use check in check out functionality. Of if you don't you can still only open the file one at a time or the last one that saves will over write all previous copies saved.

Or if you are only concerned with dates use a calendar web application that will allow employees to only update the days that are necessary for them. There are plenty of free web applications out there so don't kill yourself trying to use excel...
    gardegirl Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 25, 2010, 04:58 PM
    Hi, I had the same problem however I had a look at my spreadsheet I was using. I had a couple of hyperlink email addresses, so I removed the hyperlinks, then resaved the worksheet as a copy, shared the worksheet which it allowed me to do. Then deleted the original. So I don't know if it was the removal of the hyperlinks or just resaving as another name which did it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to connect one excel sheet to other excel sheet [ 28 Answers ]

How to connect one excel sheet to other excel sheet.

Multi-Step Income Statement & Classified Balance Sheet Help! [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I'm new in studying accounting. I have quiz coming up tomorrow and I was wondering how I set up a Certified balance sheet and a multi-step income statement. The example we received was this. On may 1st, 2006 Jane Win began the Jane Win Co. which owns a business selling gift items. She ivested...

File, Edit, View, Favorites Tools, Help [ 4 Answers ]

How do you keep the above on the top left hand screen of your computer, is it something to do with tools etc.

Financial statements - Multi-step, retained earnings, balance sheet [ 7 Answers ]

Hello, This is my first time using this site but I am desperate. I am calculating some financial statements and want to make sure I have everything in the right place. I had to prepare a multi-step statement, retained earnings statement and a balance sheet. Did I do these right?:confused: ...

Multi line cells in excel [ 4 Answers ]

Hey guys, any idea how to have multiple lines in a single cell in excel? I'm trying to make my table look a little neater, but it makes some of my comments overlap into following cells - is there any way to make the rows higher and to have 2 lines of text in a cell? Thanks in advance - Cap

View more questions Search