Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    fiona1218 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Sep 9, 2008, 03:25 AM
    Simple harmonic motion inside earth
    A shaft is drilled from brisbane to perth along the chord connecting these two towns. A trolley moves along the shaft only using gravity for its motion. There is no resistance to the motion. You are investigate the result of motion.
    You need to find:
    1. acceleration
    2. max and min velocity
    3. time of travel

I have find this motion is simple harmonic motion, but I am stuck on finding the time and max velocity. I asked my teacher to check my answer. He said it was wrong, but he cannot tell why. Help me out!!
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Sep 9, 2008, 06:13 AM
    This problem is very similar to a pendulum, but is complicated by the fact that the force of gravity varies along the length of the tunnel as its depth below the surface of the earth varies. If you ignore that fact, then the force on the trolley acting in the direction of the tunnel is

For small angles:

so

The equation of motion is therefore:

where

and R is the radius of the earth.

So

The solution is of the form

where A = magnitude of oscillation = the angle of half the length of the tunnel = arcsin(L/2R) which is approximately L/2R. Likewise, . So restating in terms of x:

The velocity is the derivative of this, and the acceleration is the second derivative. Can you take it from here?

Sep 9, 2008, 06:25 AM
    we are using the formulae of a=g sin wt
    we integrate acceleration to find velocity and then s (displacement)
    then we can find acceleration is related to the displacement and we say it is SHM.

this is sort of way my teacher want us to follow. But I find a problem to reach the right answer this this way...

and by the way, what is the "L" in your answer?

thank you for your answer. I really appreciate that.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Sep 9, 2008, 06:45 AM
    L is the length of the tunnel.

One problem with starting with a = g sin(wt) is that this says that the max acceleration is g, but it's not. To accelerate at g would mean the trolley is in free fall, like falling down a well, but in this problem the tunnel is not vertical. So the equation to start with is a = Cgsin(wt), where C is a constant. Using the argument I gave earlier, you can see that C = L/2R.

Integrate to find velocity:

v = -(Cg/w) cos(wt)

and integrate again to find displacement:

x = -(Cg/w^2) sin (wt)

You know the max displacement is L/2. So now you can solve for w. Hope this helps.

Sep 9, 2008, 07:17 AM
    Thanks mate!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Harmonic motion [ 2 Answers ]

A vertical sprng with spring stiffness constant 305N/m vibrates with an amplitude of 28.0cm when 0.260kg hangs from it. The mass passes through the equilibrium point(y=0) with positive velocity at t=0 a) What equation describes this motion as a function of time? b) At what times will the spring...

Harmonic motion [ 1 Answers ]

The springs of a 1500kg car compress 5.0mm when its 68kg driver gets into th drivers seat. If the car goes over a bump what will bethe frequency of vibrations?

Simple Harmonic Motion [ 2 Answers ]

1. A light spiral spring is loaded with a mass of 0.05kg and it extends by 0.10m. Determine: the period of small vertical oscillation if the value of g is 10m/s-2

Oscillations - velocity of simple harmonic motion [ 3 Answers ]

Sir / Madam I have adoubt in the folwing section of finding the velocity of a Simple Harmonic Motion (SHM)... I have encircled the place of doubt I have attached a picture file my doubt is how to get a w cos wt from d (a sin...

Equations related to simple harmonic motion [ 7 Answers ]

This is a really urgent question! If x=Acos2 pie ft, then how does f affect x?

View more questions Search