Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    fluffybunnymuff Posts: 14, Reputation: 1

Sep 9, 2008, 02:57 AM
    easy crochet?
    I want to learn how to crochet I learn from audio visual mostly from people teaching me. I've recently moved and I have an autistic 4 year old son id join crochet or knit groups but child care is an issue.

I have a hard time reading the weird code most books are written in I might understand it better if I had some one reading it and explain it and showing it and have me do it with them. But not many folks want to go through all that with me.

are there any good sites or books that have diagrams or videos I could watch to learn how to do projects?

right now I'm working on a 5' x 5' granny square. Lol a friend showed me how to make them and instead of stopping and staring another one I just kept going...

but id really like to learn how to do hats scarves... eventually work up to stuffed animals and clothes.

I have the lion brand catalogs and have been thinking about buying some items. I've also seen these big loom circle and rectangle things at the craft stores that claim it makes it very easy to make hats and scarves and combine the 2 to make clothes.

any ideas?:rolleyes:

thank you so much for your help... 5' x 5' granny square is getting monotonous!:p
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Sep 9, 2008, 04:58 AM
    Fluffy, I admire your focus and would like to suggest you try to your local library for audio/visual aids such as cds to learn the crafts you would like to do. They might possibly have something for you. Or, try google.com and explore there.
    fiend101 Posts: 234, Reputation: 56

Sep 20, 2008, 02:09 PM

I love to crochet. 1st, do you know what kind of stitch you are making on the sq with? Single or double. Most things are made with those basic stitches. If I lived closer I would pop over to teach you. I think everyone should learn how. My mother taught me and I taught my sis-in-law, and some ladies at work. I could try to teach you over the net. :)
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Sep 20, 2008, 11:36 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by fiend101 View Post
    i love to crochet. 1st, do you know what kind of stitch you are making on the sq with? single or double. most things are made with those basic stitches. If I lived closer I would pop over to teach you. I think everyone should learn how. My mother taught me and I taught my sis-in-law, and some ladies at work. I could try to teach you over the net. :)
    Yes, it would be good if someone could teach another person about these things right on this site! That's part of the reason this site is here! :)
    ChihuahuaMomma Posts: 7,378, Reputation: 608
    Vision Expert

Sep 20, 2008, 11:47 PM

There are lots of fun tutorials on YouTube - Broadcast Yourself.
    louisglenda Posts: 36, Reputation: 3

Jan 17, 2009, 11:27 AM

Hi I learned to crochet using a book and when stuck went to the back of the book to remind me what to do. My mother in law could crochet but never knew the names of the stitches therefore couldn't follow a pattern. I can now follow any pattern and recommend this way of teaching. Good luck
    ChihuahuaMomma Posts: 7,378, Reputation: 608
    Vision Expert

Jan 17, 2009, 11:41 AM

I've tried doing the book thing too, and know the stitches and how to do them. But I can't follow a pattern. I'm more of a hands on person, I need to see it being done not just told how to do it.
    louisglenda Posts: 36, Reputation: 3

Jan 17, 2009, 11:53 AM
    I just wish I lived near you but I am in Scotland.
    Good luck
    GothicRomance Posts: 54, Reputation: 1

Apr 2, 2009, 12:53 PM
    I also have a son, 6, who is autistic and also has a mood disorder. It sounds crazy, but crocheting has really helped me through a lot of tough times. It is great to sit down and do something that is productive. Once I got the hang of it it got really relaxing. The repetition for me makes it a muscle memory kind of thing and I can just zone out. I do a lot while I'm watching TV at the end of the day. :) I started with scarves, then ventured out into hats. I've just now (3 years later... I'm slow lol) started doing things like pants, ponchos, gloves, etc. Good luck on your search!

Great places to find free patterns are
    Lion Brand Yarn (you said you had the catalogs but I didn't know if you had been to their site)
    Crochet Pattern Central - Free, Online Crochet Pattern Link Directory - Beginner Crochet Instructions - Crochet Tips, Tricks, Testimonials and More!
    And there are some great people at CrochetvilleŽ Forum who can help too.

Joanna

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Crochet patterns [ 10 Answers ]

Does anyone know of any good free crochet patterns? I already know about crochet pattern central, lionbrand, and coats and clark. Any help is appreciated!

Crochet headbands and beanies [ 1 Answers ]

Anyone know where to buy crochet headbands or beanies at wholesale prices?

Unknown Crochet Stitch [ 4 Answers ]

It's a single crochet then double, single, double, so on; so on... What is this called?

How can it be so easy for her? [ 19 Answers ]

A month ago I couldve sworn she was head over heals for me.. 2 weeks ago when she wanted a break it was a shock to me.. and now one week ago that she's simply left me her friends tell me how she's going to ibiza in a couple of weeks and she's having the time of her life.. and that she told them...

View more questions Search