Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    fluffybunnymuff Posts: 14, Reputation: 1

Sep 9, 2008, 02:38 AM
    Complicated faimily fraud thing
    OK to start I just moved to Spokane I needed a bed and my uncle and aunt took me to furniture shopping I had ENOUGH money to buy the frame at once. But my aunt (by marriage) decided to INSIST I need credit (I'm on ssi and I try to avoid payment plans and not really concerned at this time in my life.) so I'm like well I don't really want to start credit the first week I get here I have other things to focus on. So she keeps going and says I need to do this that the other. I basically give up. So we end up trying to "get me credit" she ends up as my co-signer. And I walk out of their with a receipt for dresser, the bed, box, and mattress, and a bedside table.
    :(
    This is where it starts getting REALLY WEIRD.

Now because I'm the one who signed up for the contract I'm told by her that I'm the primary and that my name will be on the bill and that I will be making the payments she's there for if I have problems. But she will make sure I don't have any. She takes the receipt from me and puts it in her purse. (this irked me).

A few weeks later she tells me they got my last name wrong instead of smith they put smyth or something so she needs a copy of my id to fix it and the bank won't just let her call it in...

Why can't I photo copy it and send it in with my written note myself? (I'm 30 years old I'm on ssi for a work related disability I'm not incompetent)

And why is it going to her house anyway?

So that evening as we go to get a money order for the payment I go in and get it I asked my uncle to tell me the bank name he said "no just leave it blank your aunt will do that part" (did I mention I'm not incompetent and I know its not safe to have blank money orders just like checks?)

OK that was the in August I got the furniture delivered on the 28th of July. I've since been asked to send another money order for a bill I haven't seen here or there and they won't give me photocopy's to put in my file. I still don't know why they aren't sending the bills to my house if my name was fixed.

I've asked my aunt for the TOTAL amount of the bill 8 or 9 times now she wouldn't give it to me until I got kind of stern with her yesterday. She doesn't know but I called store myself and found out how much it was $1742.98 and now I start to get concerned because they can't tell me anything about my contract I signed she never gave me a copy the whole exercise was to help establish my credit... and I find out they don't send the first BILL out till about 45 days later... that's this coming THURSDAY

So I called my aunt and started asking her questions she said she didn't know if they fixed my name she hadn't gotten the bill yet. But then switches her story later to say she is he "PRIMARY" because she has credit I'm the SECONDARY because I don't. And that they said they can't fix it. Or well actually she starts stumbling over her words and it all came out garbled. Then I told her well I want to make sure my name is changed on the contract she doesn't seem very concerned about my name.

When I asked how are they getting my money orders if its in your name THEN she confirms my fear and reluctantly but with a air of authority tries to tell me its for my own good... she deposited it into HER account (why I was told to leave it blank I guess) and she has been writing checks for it. (mind you the store told me 45 days) so even if it wasn't 45 day thing id still be worried.

I say well when they get my name changed I want the bill sent to my home so I can pay it. She tells me SHE doesn't trust money orders people can steal them or they can get lost in the mail. I've never had any problems.

She goes so far as to say she wants me to open up an account online so she can HELP ME with it and with my visa card (again a prepaid thing) but I don't do online stuff like that and I don't like sharing my information like pin numbers or passwords with any online banking.

She got mad when I said no. and she's been mad that I've only sent the 42 dollar minimum amount on the money orders.

So what I want to know is first does this sound wrong at all?

Second if she refuses to switch it around *id talk to the bank myself but I need an account number to get online or to even talk to a human on their phone system and she won't give me the number* if I'm the secondary does that mean if she doesn't pay or rather I don't pay her to pay them and she keeps pocketing the cash doesn't that mean I'm stuck repaying what I think I'm paying off in the first place?

Doesn't that make me responsible if she doesn't pay?

And lastly if she's primary and she's making payments from her checking in the contract agreement doesn't that make MY furniture in MY house hers and that could be used against me in court or a law thing?

Lots of questions and need real answers my friends are sick of me running it around in my head.:confused: :( :confused:
    danielnoahsmommy Posts: 2,506, Reputation: 297
    Ultra Member

Sep 9, 2008, 02:59 AM
    Something dishy going on. I would check all three credit agencies and make sure she did not open any additional accouts

Sep 9, 2008, 03:08 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by danielnoahsmommy
    Something dishy going on. i would check all three credit agencies and make sure she did not open any additional accouts
    :eek: um what do you mean all THREE? :eek:
    Ultra Member

Sep 9, 2008, 09:23 AM
    There are three credit reporting agencies. Experian, trans union, and I can't remember the third. But you need to contact all three. You are entitled to a free credit report from each co. once every year.

Sep 9, 2008, 01:31 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by danielnoahsmommy
    there are three credit reporting agencies. experian, trans union, and i can't remember the third. but you need to contact all three. you are entitled to a free credit report from each co. once every year.
    Really:cool: hmm is it an online thing or a phone could you please send me the links or numbers :p

Thanks so much:)
    wildandblue Posts: 663, Reputation: 57

Sep 9, 2008, 02:44 PM
    FreeCreditReport.com | Free Credit Report and Credit Score Online by Experian
    Experian, Equfax and Transunion
    Your aunt is right money orders are the same as sending cash through the mail anyone can use them
    She is actually doing you a favor putting herself primary payer because if she has credit and you haven't established any yet you will pay less this way, kind of like when your dad put you on his car insurance policy as a driver instead of making you buy your own insurance, you know
    She wants the bills sent to HER so she can be sure they are paid bacause if they are not it will mess up HER credit
    greatbignow Posts: 111, Reputation: 5

Sep 9, 2008, 02:57 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by fluffybunnymuff
    really:cool: hmm is it an online thing or a phone could you please send me the links or numbers :p

thanks so much:)

Right; check the free credit report (not freecreditreport.com with the guy who sings about credit woes :-), but the one from the government that credit agencies are required to provide once a year for free. Check with all three bureaus (it will show you each of the three, this will take a few hours to do all three, so keep this in mind). If there are any other accounts, then I'd have a "coming to Jesus" meeting because if she's opened other accounts in your name that is illegal. If not, then maybe there was simply a misunderstanding? For the future, remember that it is almost ALWAYS a bad idea to mix money with family, even by marriage (especially by marriage!). If this is unavoidable, then I'd make sure that each has a copy of the written contract and even put in writing what each expects the other to do. In this manner, which might seem strict at first, it will actually save a lot of trouble and potential misery, and can help preserve family relationships. No one wants to have familial trouble over furniture... just not worth it.

Sep 9, 2008, 04:31 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by greatbignow
    For the future, remember that it is almost ALWAYS a bad idea to mix money with family, even by marriage (especially by marriage!).

Oh I know trust me I know.. we got into it hard core right in the middle of the store.. but I was pretty much in a hostage situation.. I don't drive they gave my son (autistic 4 yr old) and I a ride on a Sunday in an area I don't know cause I just moved there I never trust people anyway I really didn't want to do it but the "discussion" got so bad she pretty much said do it or your stuck here... and my uncle seems to be very compliant I barely know him either its been over 24 years since I was around him any length of time.

So if with thie situation though am I the co signer as far as the bank is concerned and is the furinture hers if she's paying for it under the primary with her checks to back it up.. and if so why the heck did I even have to put my silly name on the contract.

Sep 9, 2008, 04:35 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by greatbignow
    Right; check the free credit report (not freecreditreport.com with the guy who sings about credit woes :-), but the one from the government that credit agencies are required to provide once a year for free. Check with all three bureaus (it will show you each of the three, this will take a few hours to do all three, so keep this in mind). If there are any other accounts, then I'd have a "coming to Jesus" meeting because if she's opened other accounts in your name that is illegal. If not, then maybe there was simply a misunderstanding? For the future, remember that it is almost ALWAYS a bad idea to mix money with family, even by marriage (especially by marriage!). If this is unavoidable, then I'd make sure that each has a copy of the written contract and even put in writing what each expects the other to do. In this manner, which might seem strict at first, it will actually save a lot of trouble and potential misery, and can help preserve family relationships. No one wants to have familial trouble over furniture...just not worth it.

The problem is she's really controlling of my uncle but no one really knows how much so then she did this to me and I was barely here for a month then my boyfriend who came up and is staying with them for only a month or so to get an apartment when he got his first pay check my uncle took him to open a bank account (at the bank my aunt has been badgering me to get an account at and I told her point blank no. some credit union she has an account with) I guess they got to him so he he did it to get them to back off.. he put his money into his savings they aren't co signed or anything its just his account.

2 days later after my uncle already took him to open it and if it was my uncles idea I think he would have said something then... but 2 days later he ask my boyfriend in a kind of demanding way that he could (ie should) put his money into my UNCLES account since he doesn't get his atm card for the next few days and my UNCLE could give him money if he needs it...

What the heck is the point in opening an account if they didn't even want:( :eek: him to use it? And isn't that a little bit freaky?

Sep 9, 2008, 04:38 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by wildandblue
    Your aunt is right money orders are the same as sending cash through the mail anyone can use them
    She is actually doing you a favor putting herself primary payer because if she has credit and you haven't established any yet you will pay less this way, kind of like when your dad put you on his car insurance policy as a driver instead of making you buy your own insurance, you know
    She wants the bills sent to HER so she can be sure they are paid bacause if they are not it will mess up HER credit

But that makes no sneeze what so ever I WAS SUPPOSED to be building credit. And I didn't even want allt hat furniture I had enough on me to buy my bed out right... that's ALL I wanted... FREAKING BED :( I didn't want more than I can handle that's why I never do that stupid stuff. When I get to a point when I am here longer and didn't have so many exspenses then yeah that would have been fine but not A MONTH after I get here... :mad:

Sep 9, 2008, 04:47 PM
    Um yeah well I don't drive I take the bus. I don't have a cell I have prepaid. Id don't do anything to mess up my credit cause id not trust anyone. And the only reason I even agreed to do this was she insisted it would help me get credit. But from what I'm reading it doesn't sound like I get any credit they don't know IM the one paying its in her name from her account. And that makes it her furniture. And that means later she can hold that agisnt me in a court of law and have the papers to prove it. So no I don't think she's doing me a favor.

And if she was WHY is she reffusing to photo copy the bills so I can have them for my reccords she won't even do that. This doesn't sound right at all and if its her furniture she can have it and pay it off.. id rather pay for a mover to take the set to their house where they have no room (all of their furniture is from the same store and they have from 5 -10 years to pay it all off why anyone would want hat many bills is beyond me!) and then she can pay off her furniture.

Ill go back to the place and buy my bed like I originally:mad: wanted to the same day!

This all sounds wrong if she was being nice she would have photocopied the bill (if there was one remember the first bill isn't until the 11th of this month they said she's been putting the 2 mo into her account telling me the bill is being paid) it the bill is real she should photo copy for me so I can put it into my files or give me the agreement I signed or even the photo copy of it. She won't she refuses and makes dumb excuses.
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Sep 9, 2008, 04:48 PM
    With relatives like them, who needs enemies? Steer clear of them financially as much as possible as they do not have your best interests at heart. I feel there is more than meets the eye to dear old auntie and dear old uncle.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Sep 9, 2008, 04:48 PM
    Why do you not merely go to the store ( and/or bank) and talk to them direct, you keep talking to the perople who are cheating you.

So merely refuse to pay anyone until you get copies of the bills mailed to you. If this was instore credit, go talk to the store and take care of it with them directly.

Sep 9, 2008, 10:30 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck
    Why do you not merely go to the store ( and/or bank) and talk to them direct, you keep talking to the perople who are cheating you.

So merely refuse to pay anyone untilll you get copies of the bills mailed to you. If this was instore credit, go talk to the store and take care of it with them directly.
    Well like I said before I tried calling them directly I talked to 2 separate agents both said they basically "sell" the paper work to the bank. I don't know what that means. And be cause the spelld my last name wrong they won't talk to me I wonder if I took my id down and they saw the driver license number (sept mine is just plain old id) is the same as the wrong last name if they would help me better.

The bank won't talk to me I need my account number and I can't get that from my aunt cause she won't even let me look at the bill.

I'm trying to get all my ducks in a row and the worst part is that she works for the department of health as an accountant but they do the public nurses and aparently cps got a call of abuse at the time I thought it was my across neighbor my son is autistic and his behavior is difficult and hard to understand if you don't know. Cps discounted it and refferd the case to a public nurse... the nurse that came to investigate aparently is some one from her work she invited my aunt and uncle to her sons rock concert 2 months prior to her vist here... at the time my aunt was like oh don't worry (buddy buddy you got me I know her kind of like I got someone on the inside... crap) and I'm like I'm not worried because I know I'm not doing anything wrong.:mad:

But after all this other stuff started happening I'm starting to wonder if she didn't call on me and is trying to make me feel traped like if I try to fix the financial situation she might try to go after me thorugh the whole new situation...

I didn't move out here for this crap I moved to spokane because it's the best public school system for autistic children in all of Washington!:o
    Ultra Member

Sep 10, 2008, 01:59 AM
    If you get your credit report it will have the account name and number on it. You can go on the internet and order one.

Sep 10, 2008, 09:31 PM
    :) good news I wrote a professional letter simply asking to have the copies and stuff and I also stated that I talked to a financial advisor (you guys and some guy I called in the phone book as well as family and friends... odly enough every one said the same thing) that I was not to send anymore blank money orders or to pay anymore on the plan until it was resolved.

I staated politely that I think the issue would be resolved much quicker if we were both talking to them.

I think we should both talk to the bank/store so they get their stuff straight. For one my name. To the fact that I'm supposed to be "gaining" credit from this transaction so I'm supposed to be primary and you co signed so they are only supposed to bug you if I mess up and I won't mess up. I would like a copy of the 2 bills and the contract we signed for my filling. I'm going to pay with my visa from now on but I don't feel comfortable with online banking not after that stuff with paypal and wamu. I don't send money orders for my bills I usually go to the electricity company and hand them cash and get a receipt and qwest I call it in and pay for it with my card. That way I'm talking to someone and I can have a name if the payment doesn't show up on the bill.

I found out that if I'm not primary its really not helping me get any credit at all and its actually your furniture and that's just silly to have furniture that I'm paying for not even in my name. I might as well just give it to you guys and go buy my bed again so I know its mine.

Though I'm quite sure if we are both talking to the bank since both of our names are on the contract we could get this straightened out much faster.

I don't plan on paying anymore until they fix it. Because its unacceptable since that was what we told mor furniture we wanted when we were there. That I was going to be paying it and you were just co signing so I could build credit.

So next time I see you or Andy id like to get a copy of the bills and that contract so I can put it in my files.

Hope your having a good day,
    Her response

You cannot stop paying anything, or they will say you are breaking the agreement of having to make monthly payments!! That will automatically give me, Linda, bad credit. I did not stick out my neck for you, for you to tell me that you are going to stop making payments until this is corrected.
    My reply

but I'm not the primary and they are not getting payments from me its your checks they don't even know I exsist. That makes it your furniture and its not helping ME build credit.

All the same id like the copiesof bills from the past to payments I did give you so I can put it in my files as well as the contract you said you'd hold onto.

I called a financial advisor yesterday and they told me to not give anymore blank money orders to you and to wait until they fix the bill to make payments once its fixed my last name as well as who is primary i.e. who's credit this is helping then I will use my visa to call the number on the bill and make payments.

It made sense to me. So I'm taking the advice. I've also called my sources in seattle they said it doesn't make sense to make payments on furniture that in the end won't belong to me anyway.
    Her response
    you and whoever you are talking to, do not know what they are talking about. I have been on the phone for long periods talking to the financing company. You are shown as a co-applicant. That means that yes, you are building your credit. You are not shown as co-signer, which is good. They said that yes, because you are shown as co-applicant, the payments are building your credit. They said that you could make payments on-line under your name and it will show against your name. You need to call me, as I get frustrated trying to call you and explain, and you do not answer either one of your phones!!
    The thing that made her stop for 1hr 45 min and when she called me she was the nicest sounding I have EVER HEARD her talk to ANY human being EVER... (I wonder why that was)

your telling me the financial ad visor I talked to yesterday is a liar? Your telling me that I can not have copies of the 2 bills I have ask for in the past 2 letters as well as that contract we signed. I know I have OTHER OPTIONS including calling my card in to pay my bills I do not have to do it online if I feel uncomfortable with it. And I DEMAND PROOF that the issue has been resolved I would also like to have the financing company's number so I can talk to them directly and THEY can explain it to me. I am 30 years old I am not a child. I refuse to allow you to treat me like one. You do not have power of attorney over me or my finances. Its perfectly acceptable for me to want copies of paperwork and the number so I can work with the bank to fix things myself my last name for instance.
    - Show quoted text -

:D thanks for all the help guys you have been awesome..

She tried to give me a fake number to the company and it was a fax thanks to the internet I got the RIGHT number and the gall told me that they don't accpet plastic online only checks or money orders... and that it is credit 50/50 but she could have changed it at anytime for free it only takes a seccond.

And that it was going to be coming to my house from now on!

You guys are awesome thanks so much for all your help!

Sep 10, 2008, 09:33 PM
    I know my gramar and spelling and punctioation is awful but its part of my disablity. But even with her perfect gramar and punctiontion she sounds like a whiny teenager... she's like 52 and a professional accountant for the department of health... when I told one of my friends that she started laughing really hard... I don't know what the joke was...

Sep 13, 2008, 01:51 PM
    Just don't give her any more blank money orders. This is like saying, "you paid her two tens but she sent one twenty dollar bill to the store instead" it makes no difference. But the people at the othern end could take your money order like it was cash and give you no credit, say you mailed them an empty envelope. So use a check, most banks will let you have a free checking account if you have a direct deposit check coming regularly like SSI or disability benefits.
    You have possession of the furniture and possession is 9/10ths of the law. Don't stop paying that will just cause you late fees and cost you more money. If you pay your bills late or make only the minimum payments that can lower your credit score.

Sep 13, 2008, 04:53 PM
    Just don't give her any more blank money orders. This is like saying, "you paid her two tens but she sent one twenty dollar bill to the store instead" it makes no difference. But the people at the othern end could take your money order like it was cash and give you no credit, say you mailed them an empty envelope. So use a check, most banks will let you have a free checking account if you have a direct deposit check coming regularly like SSI or disability benefits.
    You have posession of the furniture and possession is 9/10ths of the law. Don't stop paying that will just cause you late fees and cost you more money. If you pay your bills late or make only the minimum payments that can lower your credit score.
    Well my grandmother is going to pay it off as soon as we make sure its under my name and she won't try any small claims crud. I had a check of 1911 dollars last month and I wanted to pay it all off but Linda said NO YOU MUST MAKE PAYMENTS... honestly I don't understand it she's 53 years old her credit is established and you can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink. And I don't want credit I have plenty of monthly expenses right now my biggest one is child proofing my home from my autistic 4 year old. I had to go out and buy some things I never would have thought existed for some new adventure he pursed yesterday. And I have 42 less bux to put towards it! Besides I trust paying back my grandma I don't really need or want credit at this point in my life they make so many wonderful prepaid things. And if I don't have the money to buy something right then all they way then I don't need it that's the way I see it.

So ill pay my grandma back more than 42 bux a month but we will figure out how much. And come next Dec I am supposed to get a big back pay sum ill pay her off entirely

This way I don't have to deal with any banks. (ive tried the bank account thing... ssi has a prepaid type credit card they make specifically to put your money on and that's what I'm:p :rolleyes: :o :D :cool: going to do from now on)

Sep 14, 2008, 11:05 AM
    Yes I understand where you are coming from. But basically to build credit you start with small store accounts like this, department stores, a Sears card, a gasoline card. Once you have that you can get a bigger national card like the Discover that pays you a cash back bonus for everything you buy if you keep your account in good standing. And later if you have good credit that means you will pay less on a car loan or for insurance. You know those commercials that say "zero percent financing for well qualified buyers"? If you have poor credit you will pay a lot more, for the same car. Your relative may be trying to say there is no advantage to payingf the furniture off early, in some instances you get a discount if you do that but you don't always, depends on what the contract you signed says. So if you don't, there is no advantage to paying early other than getting your relative off your back and out of your hair. I wish you the best! Wildandblue

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Insurance Fraud/Advance commission fraud [ 10 Answers ]

I'm sure this post with be confusing to some of you but any advice would be greatly appreciated. I was hired back in October of 2005 as an independent contractor selling life insurance policies. One of my clients that I sold a policy to mentioned that she had a few family members that were...

What to do with wedding guests who didn't RSVP? [ 4 Answers ]

We're getting married June 7th and need a final head count for the caterers. Many people haven't sent back their RSVP's. We've called to remind them but still haven't received them. We're afraid that people will show up anyway. It's also a monetary concern. If we go over 75 people, it will cost...

RSVP postcard [ 2 Answers ]

I'm getting married on April 5th (less than 3 months) I will be mailing out my invites in the middle of next month. For the RSVP we are putting together a postcard. I am in the process of making the postcard right now. I'm not sure what date to put on the RSVP for them to respond by. Does anyone...

How To Fill out RSVP Card [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, How do I fill out the RSVP card with meal choice on it - it looks like this: M________________ Number attending____ Main Entree: Filet mignon and fillet of salmon

Ros RSVP new hardware found.. [ 2 Answers ]

Hello people that know more than I could ever learn about computers, I've got a problem :eek: When I boot my computer up (dell-xp) it comes up every time with the below message "new hardware found RoS RSVP" Then when you try to install the hardware it asks for the cd, which I don't...

View more questions Search