Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    linnealand Posts: 1,088, Reputation: 216
    Ultra Member

Sep 8, 2008, 08:13 PM
    Doggy Boots
    Have any of you had experience with doggy boots? If you have had success with them, which are the best kinds on the market? What is the difference between them? I'm also looking for other rainy day options. It's for an English cocker spaniel. Thanks!
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Sep 8, 2008, 08:19 PM
    I've tried using them because we have very cold winters here. My dogs wouldn't leave them on at all, and I found them to be quite expensive. Also, they don't grip well, which is probably why the dogs don't like them, they kept sliding.

That's just my experience though, maybe someone else had some luck with them. :)
    ConfusedInAK Posts: 184, Reputation: 16

Sep 8, 2008, 08:22 PM
    People use them up here all the time...

From what I understand, If you can sew they are easy to make
    RWuest Posts: 50, Reputation: 5

Sep 8, 2008, 08:31 PM
    Unnatural.
    rex123 Posts: 766, Reputation: 100

Sep 9, 2008, 02:36 AM
    When I tried them on rex he walked really funny, I don't know if all dogs do that or what.
    linnealand Posts: 1,088, Reputation: 216
    Ultra Member

Sep 9, 2008, 05:05 AM
    Rex, that's exactly why I decided to ask this question. I was thinking that I would love to invest in a pair of rainy day doggy boots. My cocker has a lot of fur, and it's not going to be easy to keep him dry when we get into the rainier months. It just doesn't snow in our city, so all we get is cold rain instead. I saw some really irresistible doggy sneakers online and I showed them to my boyfriend. He said that he's not going to take a dog wearing sneakers out in public. I think it's a guy thing. Well, if the booties work, I wouldn't mind at all. But then I came across some YouTube videos of dogs wearing shoes, and every one of them looked like they awfully confused by the sensation, and they walked in really weird ways. One started walking like a horse. I don't want to torture my dog. So I was wondering if booties have worked out well for anyone, with the YouTube dogs as an exception to the rule. I don't know anyone here with doggy boots, but there are a lot more specialty pet products on the market in the US than anywhere else. The boots are not cheap, and I'd be ordering them from overseas, so I would be really happy to hear from anybody who has used them.

By the way, what brands have you used?
    froggy7 Posts: 1,801, Reputation: 242
    Ultra Member

Sep 9, 2008, 07:38 AM
    If I were you, I'd invest in a raincoat, and just wipe the feet dry with a towel when you come inside. Some people even teach their dog to spin on command and have them do that when they come inside onto a doormat, so that the dog winds up wiping his feet on the door mat. (Might be a good trick for Rex to learn, as well!)

A dog raincoat looks essentially like a horse blanket made of water-repellant material.
    rex123 Posts: 766, Reputation: 100

Sep 9, 2008, 11:11 AM
    Linnealand, I can't remember what brand they were all I remember was getting them at walmart. That's the bad thing about it your dog may like them he may not, its hard to tell. But if your getting them for protection for your dogs paws and pads and he doesn'T like them, There are sprays and gels to apply to the pads that will protect also. Now I've never tried them with rex, but since we'll be skijoring this winter I'll have to.
    And I love what froggy suggests(the raincoat) if I had enough money and an actual pet store around I would love to purchase 1.
    Here is just an example of a spray to protect dogs pads.
    Paw Pro Pad De-icer for Dogs

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Cowboy boots [ 3 Answers ]

Stan always wanted a pair of authentic cowboy boots. Seeing some on sale one day, he buys them, wears them home, walking proudly. He walked into the house and says to his wife: "Notice anything different about me?" Bessie looks...

New boots [ 5 Answers ]

An elderly couple, Margaret and Bert, are Californians. Bert always wanted a pair of authentic cowboy boots. So seeing some on sale one day, he buys them & wears them home, walking proudly. He walks into the house and says to his wife: 'Notice anything different about me?' Margaret looks him...

Sqeeeeky ld boots [ 1 Answers ]

Not sure if this is the place to post. My mother got some tough leather parra boots, but one of them squeeks, not just squeek but really badly cartoon style squeeky. How can I make them un squeeky?

Doggy refuses to eat doggy food. [ 1 Answers ]

I have a west highland terrier which has been with me for 9 months and recently I just brought him to a doggy's restaurant. Apparently, he has not been the same ever since he came back after the treat and didn't want to touch his dry food anymore. It is actually a far cry from what he was when he...

The Boots [ 2 Answers ]

An elderly couple, Margaret and Bert, move to Texas . Bert always Wanted a pair of authentic cowboy boots, so, seeing some on sale, he Buys them and wears them home. Walking proudly he goes into the kitchen and says to his wife, "Notice Anything different about me?" Margaret looks him...

View more questions Search