Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    RWuest Posts: 50, Reputation: 5

Sep 8, 2008, 04:30 PM
    Another comma confusion.
    I am always docked down for using too many commas and not enough ;... will you please explain when using a ; is appropriate, and I guess the correct name, as well. Thanks!
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Sep 8, 2008, 05:32 PM
    ; is a semicolon. It is not a comma. Semicolons are used as follows:

Punctuation Made Simple: Guide to The Semicolon

This basically boils down to the connection of two sentences that are related.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Comma confusion on college admissions essay [ 25 Answers ]

I'm writing my college essay and I came to a sentence that had me confused. Here it is: He is Switzerland and I, too, wish to be able to achieve his impartial view on the way people live Should there be a comma after switzerland? Or not? Or how should I word that? It's for brown...

To use a comma or not. [ 2 Answers ]

In writing only month and year - July 1997 - do you place a comma after the month or not?

Guy Confusion [ 6 Answers ]

Okay so I met a couple of guys at camp. I have been messaging to guy#1 ever since and then guy #2 asks for my number through guy #1. Catch this because it gets a little confusing. Then guy#2 texted me giving me guy#1's number. What does it mean? Please give me the 411 on guy phsycology.

Comma Splices [ 1 Answers ]

What is a comma slice? I am having trouble remembering.

Confusion [ 2 Answers ]

I seem to be in a really confusing situation and would appreciate some clarity. I have been good friends with this girl for 2 years, about 1 1/2 years ago I asked her out and she said yes and then later that night said no stating that she did not date her friends. I accepted this and contented...

View more questions Search