Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    SCOTTYLAWLER Posts: 1, Reputation: 2

May 8, 2006, 10:05 PM
    Personal property lifes work
    I fell on hard times and needed some quick cash for girlfriend.. I used to be a pro wrestling photographer.. I told my good friend I would give him all my photos like 8000 of them and told him to pick 500 of them and give me 300 dollars and I also gave him about 6000 negatives as well and told hime he could copy those.. and in a month I would come back down to Cincinnati to get my photos back and my 100 dollars he owed me.. 2 years later he never gave me my photos back or my negatives back.. he says they are now his? He has ripped me off he changed his number and moved.. he stole my stuff and won't give it back.. I trusted him and he conned me... :( what can I do.. I had no written agreement only verbal.. but I do have 2 witnesses.. can I sue him? Or what.. please I need advice
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

May 9, 2006, 03:31 AM
    So do you envision this a "broken verbal contract" issue or a theft issue? Depending on which, you may be beyone the statute of limitations. Also, you'll need to confirm whether verbal contracts are enforceable in your state.

What state are you in?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 9, 2006, 06:57 PM
    As noted, there is a time limit to file both criminal charges and/or law suits.

But the place to start would be to get an estimate that can be proved in court for the value of the photos and negitives that you gave him.

Then deduct what he paid, and sue for the balance of the value of all of the material he has. ( you have to sue for the money although you can settle latter for so much money plus the return of the material)
    But the actual law suit has to be for the value.

You will have to prove the value of the photo's, and prove you had an agreement with this person. Verbal is harder but can be done
    CaptainForest Posts: 3,645, Reputation: 393
    Ultra Member

May 9, 2006, 07:43 PM
    The Ohio Statue of Limitations is 6 years for contracts not in writing. So since it has only been 2 years, you can sue him. Make sure your witnesses are present, or at least you have a notarized statement from them.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Personal Profiles [ 3 Answers ]

I am trying to locate a friend on the Web. I know she has Cox Internet but I don't know her email. Is there a way of finding her email? Thank You

Kind of Personal [ 8 Answers ]

I was recently married to a wonderful man but I WEIGH 270 pounds... we are both young and i can't help but think my husband would like to have a very intimate night with me but they don't make any ''sexy'' outfits for women my size. At least i can't find anywhere where they do. I want to spice up...

Property taxes/lien on property [ 2 Answers ]

We have been taking care of the rental properties across the street from us for many years as the landlord lives in Arkansas. We have never been paid for these services. We repair and maintain these properties, and the last tenants we even collected the rent and deposited into the landlord’s...

Personal Loan [ 1 Answers ]

I am a small company looking for a personal loan. I have bad credit and the company has only been around for 7 months. I am looking for $8,000.00 over 3 years and am willing to pay a high interest rate. I would like the loan to be unsecured but am willing to put the Equipment I own up for...

Love Problems Lifes in general [ 1 Answers ]

Feel so down I read cards but want someone to read for me as my lifes a big mess Am out of work (accident to leg) no money. Marriage of 15 years too far gone to fix so we stay together as friends. Works OK but am in love with my childhood sweetheart he says and shows he loves me but yes you guess...

View more questions Search