Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Hyper45dude Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Feb 14, 2004, 10:13 PM
    Investing in gold
    I am thinking of buying gold bullion as protection against some sort of possible disaster which might befall the United States. I don't wish to be stuck with nearly valueless paper currency if that happens. How as a beginner could I get the best value for my money. I realize that the value of gold fluctuates daily, (hourly), but I want some gold coins on hand. I have checked the charts regarding the price of gold and think it may be on the upswing. I would appreciate some solid advice. Thank you.
    rocksngold Posts: 10, Reputation: 3

Mar 17, 2007, 05:52 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Hyper45dude
    I am thinking of buying gold bullion as protection against some sort of possable disaster which might befall the United States. I dont wish to be stuck with nearly valueless paper currency if that happens. How as a beginner could I get the best value for my money. I realize that the value of gold fluctuates daily, (hourly), but I want some gold coins on hand. I have checked the charts reguarding the price of gold and think it may be on the upswing. I would appreciate some solid advice. Thank you.
    Hyperdude
    What amount can you invest and still be liquid?
    $1k in Metals and your considered an investor -deferred or no tax on purchases.

There are a couple of options for you to consider.
    I think Gold is one of the top items but there are four.

If you only knew how to buy Gold,you would love it ,contact me I will get you some info.

Here's the top four.

1) Life Settlements --------Safest- most return for your money
    2) Gold,Silver ,Platinum -------- Buy at a good price and know it's value and when to sell.
    3) Molly -------- Not well known ,but will be very profitable
    4) Diamonds -------- Buy right and turn a quick profit,depends on
    the stone and the prices.

Hope this helps.
    any questions just contact me.

Good Luck
    Rocksngold
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Mar 19, 2007, 06:23 AM
    Hello hyper:

You can leverage your gold investments for a high return, but I don't think that's what you want to do. Given what you've said, I would buy gold and silver coins from your local coin dealer and hold them.

Yes, the price goes up and down. However, I think gold is going to $2K/oz and silver is going to $50/oz. so the short term price shouldn't bother you.

excon
    gazelleintense Posts: 175, Reputation: 13

May 3, 2007, 05:41 PM
    Gold is a terrible place to put money... if an economy fails, gold will be nearly worthless at that point.

Gold Investments
    rocksngold Posts: 10, Reputation: 3

May 4, 2007, 10:58 AM
    I totally disagree with your analagy.

Gold and Silver will be the only vehicle that has value. Your baseball cards, etc would be worthles.
    Goldfinger Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 4, 2007, 12:12 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Hyper45dude
    I am thinking of buying gold bullion as protection against some sort of possable disaster which might befall the United States. I dont wish to be stuck with nearly valueless paper currency if that happens. How as a beginner could I get the best value for my money. I realize that the value of gold fluctuates daily, (hourly), but I want some gold coins on hand. I have checked the charts reguarding the price of gold and think it may be on the upswing. I would appreciate some solid advice. Thank you.
    How can I convert my 401k to gold, with an load balance against my 401k. $18.000.00 in account and $10.000.00 load total portfolio $28.000.00

May 5, 2007, 12:43 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by rocksngold
    I totally disagree with your analagy.

Gold and Silver will be the only vehicle that has value. Your baseball cards, etc would be worthles.

The fact is gold is not used when economies fail... history shows when an economy collapses, the first thing that appears is a black market barter system in which people trade items for other items or services. A skill, a pair of jeans, or a tank of gas become very valuable, but not gold coins or nuggets. Usually a new government rises from the ashes, and new paper money or coinage is established. Gold will at best play a minor role, and the gold investor will be left with the sick feeling that real estate, canned soup, or knowledge would have been a better hedge against a failed economy...

** this according to Dave Ramsey total money makeover book (I trust his advice)...

Gold Investments

May 12, 2007, 07:59 AM
    case in point.... hurricane katrina... when new Orleans was under water, and the economy failed... It no longer existed...

Did you hear of anyone looking for gold, to buy sell or trade? Nope.

Gasoline and water, food... were most sought after and worth a lot!
    Uber Member

May 12, 2007, 08:15 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by gazelleintense
    case in point.... hurricane katrina... when new Orleans was under water, and the economy failed... It no longer existed...

did you hear of anyone looking for gold, to buy sell or trade? Nope.

gasoline and water, food... were most sought after and worth a lot!
    Hello again, gaze:

I've checked out your guy Dave Ramsey. His advice is great, and your advice is too.

However, I think he's wrong about gold. The problem with your New Orleans scenario, is there were dollars around, so who needed gold? If there was a true collapse of the economy, nobody would have dollars, or they'd have a lot of dollars that wouldn't buy much.

But, if they had a gold coins, they could buy what they need, because gold is money. You can say that it isn't as loudly as you want, but the world still thinks it is.

Let me give you an example. When I was a kid, you could buy a gallon of gasoline for a quarter. I was a kid before '65 so my quarter was silver. Today, my silver quarter will STILL buy a gallon of gasoline, but it now takes over 3 dollars to buy the same thing.

If a collapse happens, my silver coins will buy even more.

excon

May 12, 2007, 10:30 AM
    HI ex you do bring up a good point. There were dollars, assuming people had cash. My guess is most anything run by electricity/computer was down. Like ATM machines... don't matter they were under water anyway. :) all businesses were shut down... so I doubt you could even walk into a bank to get cash.

Most people don't carry much cash these days, so I'd bet that cash was not used much... Just a guess. I could be wrong.

People call daves show all the time and argue about the gold thing... id still bet on him being right... ;)
    ActionJackson Posts: 301, Reputation: 28

Jun 1, 2007, 06:15 PM
    I like that idea of dividing my resources in preparation for a possible disaster. I like having $500.00 to $1000.00 in gold and silver just in case. I also like have a few hundred in paper currency in case the disaster has more to do with nature and not the economy. However, history has proven time and again that food, water, salt, bar soap, cigarettes, and other trade items have been of extreme value in times of uncertainty, chaos, or national disaster. I also prefer investing through a local credit union or other local resource than the huge, multinational companies. Who has a gravity type water purifier. Money of all kinds will be completely worthless if you're dying of thirst.
    rfarmer Posts: 13, Reputation: 2

Jun 24, 2007, 06:49 PM
    There are equity traded funds (etfs) for gold I have streettracks gold trust fund trades with the price of gold also I hear you pay a premium for bullion...
    Uber Member

Jul 12, 2008, 07:01 AM
    Hello GoldPartyDude:

So YOU want the gold. I don't blame you. But THIS ain't the place for you to find your patsy's.

excon

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Whirlpool Gold Catalyst Washer problem [ 15 Answers ]

Hi My model number is GSX9885JQ0 The washer will fill with water but doesn't agitate. The light on the control panel blinks instead of being on solid. It doesn't display an error code on the panel, just shows how much time is left. I also tried unplugging and letting it reset. I also tried using...

New Lab/gold.retriever puppy won't eat [ 9 Answers ]

On Monday I got a mix of a lab & golden retriever. He is about 10.5 weeks old according to the papers they gave me. He has had shots and is supposedly wormed. On Monday just after we got him home he seemed to be fine. He was mild and laid around a lot. I started mixing his food from the shop...

Determing whether something is truly gold? [ 4 Answers ]

Archimedes, a famous Greek scientist, was given a problem by King Hieron II of Syracuse (Sicily). The kind suspected that his crown, which was supposed to be made of pure gold, contained some silver alloy, and he asked Archimedes to prove or disprove his suspicion. (It turned out that the crown...

Gold Leafing Furniture [ 1 Answers ]

Does anyone know if there is a water based paint which I can apply to oak furniture which looks like the gold leafing sheets? I have an oak chest with carved flowers and wanted to gold leaf the flowers using a sponge in order to keep the dark lines between the flowers and only paint the top most...

View more questions Search