Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    MBFMel Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 8, 2008, 01:41 PM
    Paying taxes on 1099 income
    I have a regular, full-time salaried position, but just started a business as an independent contractor (1099). I am about to receive my first commission earning and realize that I will need to file taxes. How much can I expect to pay in taxes (percentage)? Is it based on how much I make a year or is there a general rule of thumb? I am trying to calculate how much to set aside for quarterly tax payments. Thanks!
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Sep 8, 2008, 02:40 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by MBFMel
    I have a regular, full-time salaried position, but just started a business as an independent contractor (1099). I am about to receive my first commission earning and realize that I will need to file taxes. How much can I expect to pay in taxes (percentage)? Is it based on how much I make a year or is there a general rule of thumb? I am trying to calculate how much to set aside for quarterly tax payments. Thanks!

Here is how I do it -

First, I estimate how much I'm going to earn that quarter. Realize it is difficult to do when you first start. Then I figure out the FICA on that amount.

I am able to go back to the previous year, estimate whether I'll work more or less, go from there.

Then I add my proposed 1099 income to my possible W-2 income, take a look at the tax tables (in general), figure out my taxes, deduct my W-2 tax withholding and send the difference.

Some years I've estimated high, some years low. For 2008 my accountant just said, "Here, mail this in every quarter," based on 2007 income.
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Sep 8, 2008, 04:52 PM
    Form 1099-Misc income is reported on schedule C or C-EZ (Form 1040).
    Read: Your U.S. Tax Return: Tax Filing by Self Employed Sole Proprietor or Independent Contractor
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Sep 10, 2008, 10:19 AM
    Put aside about one-third of every check to be safe so you HAVE the money when it comes to file in 2009.

Starting on 15 April 2009, you will have to pay quarterly estimated taxes using Form 1040-ES.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

1099 C - Paying Taxes on Credit Card Debt [ 2 Answers ]

Why do I need to pay taxes on money I owe a credit card company? When I was making payments of $300 dollars , I never received a 1099. I am working with a Debt Management company to pay off my debt credit card companies. I finally was able to pay off over $700 settlement to one of my Credit Cards....

Paying ga. State income taxes on income earned in another state [ 1 Answers ]

I earned money working in Texas, which does not have a state income tax, however I discovered when I filed my taxes I was being assesed taxes on income I did not earn in Georgia, I don't know the law, but I feel this is unfair.

Paying taxes on a 1099 [ 4 Answers ]

I have been working for a couple of companies in the past and have always been on W2 where they match my social security and medicare tax and automatically took income taxes out. However, I have just recently started to do contract IT work for another company. Being Contract work I am on 1099. I...

H1B paying taxes on W2 and 1099 [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I am on H1-B status, i.e. I am being paid by my Employer for which I will be paying taxes on W2 Form. I got an opportunity to earn money legally for my services using 1099 form. Am I allowed to pay taxes for the earned income using both W2, 1099 being on H1 B status? I apreciate your...

H1B, employer not paying withheld income taxes [ 3 Answers ]

I know that my employer isn't paying the income taxes that he withholds from my salary. Does that affect my situation regarding my H1B? I mean in the application it says that I should be paid a certain salary to have this Visa and if the taxes that are withheld are not paid it will look like I have...

View more questions Search