Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    monaanne Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 8, 2008, 11:54 AM
    Labor Laws
    I have been working as Executive Assistant for the President/Owner of this company for 16years. He and I work in the same office that is located in the main house on an estate. The rest of his employees are located in the guest house. Due to his inability to view the comings and goings of all of his employees, except me, all through the years, many of his employees took advantage of that fact and came and went as they pleased. There was no one monitoring their time and extensive abuse took place.

Finally, he hired a woman, who is not trained in Human Resource management, to monitor everyone's time. She shows favoritism to those whom she likes, i.e. taking long lunches with her and not docking these employees. She comes in late, takes lunch for however long she wants, and although she does work past 5 pm, she is still taking extra time during the day. If I am here extra time, it doesn't count. Also, she doesn't eat when she is working. She leaves the premises, along with other employees and takes a real lunch.

I eat my lunch in the kitchen so that I can get away from my desk. However, I still answer the phone and if the doorbell rings, I stop eating and get up and answer the door. Also, my boss periodically comes into the kitchen to ask me for my help.

I am a salaried employee, yet, I am required by this woman to fill out a time sheet (time sheets were her idea). She is demanding that even though I take a working lunch that I write down the time I take lunch, even if I am working and eating at my desk.

Are there any laws that can assist me with the understanding of what a "real" lunch is and on salaried employees filling out time sheets?
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Sep 8, 2008, 02:38 PM
    Short of punching in and out at a time clock there is no real lunch rules. It's basically an honor system that employees should use (and I agree a lot abuse it as well). If you get an hour lunch and wish to leave the premises, then by all means do so. You sticking around in the kitchen and answering the phone and helping the boss is your prerogative and has been so for years. You have essentially spoiled the boss. If this HR person decides to install a time clock, by all means let her as then everyone will have to punch in and out - including her. That idea will go over like a screen door in a submarine.

The reason for the time sheets is simply to track that you were on the premises working. The fact you took lunch or not is irrelevant as you did in fact eat something in the kitchen. If you have to mark down you took lunch, by all means leave the premises for 1/2 hour or whatever then if it will make you feel better. Your boss might not like the fact you are gone, but if he's wise, he'll talk it over with you and come to see how you should be exempt from this (as you have been doing this for years). If not, then leave the premises or go sit in your car and eat.

I sure hope they install a time clock. That would solve a lot of HER problems (and make some for her as well).

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Salaried Labor Laws [ 3 Answers ]

I am on salary with a Agency. I live in one town, but I am based our of another 35 miles away. Often times, I am asked to take supplies back and forth including payroll. Am I due milage for this?

FL Labor laws [ 1 Answers ]

If I show up to work as scheduled and upon arrival they tell me they don't need me are they required to pay me for a minimum amount of scheduled hours

Labor laws [ 2 Answers ]

I am thirteen and interested in working, all I want to know is the labor laws and age requirements to be able to work. I am not interested in working during the school year, but during the summer. Thanks. Ps I live in the state of nevda if that helps.

Work/labor laws [ 6 Answers ]

Can a company legally work and employee 26 days straight with no time off?:confused:

View more questions Search