Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jdykes Posts: 29, Reputation: 1

May 8, 2006, 06:22 PM
    Sudden pressure loss in Sink
    My sink has suddenly lost pressure, I ran it for about 10 seconds and it was fine, a few minutes later I turned it on and it was nothing but a drizzle. I've checked around the lines and there is no leaking and it drizzles the same in both sprayer modes.

Over the last hour it has picked up a little pressure, but not much. I had a new hot water heater installed on Saturday, this issue just arose Monday night

Any help would be appreciated
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

May 9, 2006, 05:44 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by jdykes
    My sink has suddenly lost pressure, I ran it for about 10 seconds and it was fine, a few minutes later I turned it on and it was nothing but a drizzle. I've checked around the lines and there is no leaking and it drizzles the same in both sprayer modes.

over the last hour it has picked up a little pressure, but not much. I had a new hot water heater installed on Saturday, this issue just arose Monday night

Any help would be appreciated
    Let me first explain what has happened and then tell you how to fix it.
    When you installed the new water heater you disturbed the pipes. This caused mineral buildup in the pipe walls to come loose and dislodge. The first fixture making a draw, (your sink) sucked the debris up into the faucet blocking the valve.
    Since you failed to tell me the brand and type, one handle or two knobs< I can't get specific but here's what you must do.
    First shut the water off at the angle stops located in the cabinet. Open up the faucet and clean the crud out of the seats or, in the case of a one handled valve, the inlet ports of the cartridge.
    Next, place a pan over the open valve body to prevent splash and turn the angle stops back on for a few seconds to flush out the supplies. You may now reassemble the faucet and test.
    So that this doesn't happen again from minerals building up in your new heater let me start you on a monthly maintenance schedule to prevent it.

For long life and fewer troubles you should keep your heater clear of mineral build-up by flushing on a regular schedule. Let me show you how. Attach a hose to the boiler drain at the bottom of the tank. With the pressure on, open the boiler drain and let it run until the water runs clear. You will see a spurt of red,(rust) followed by white grains,(lime or calcium carbonate). This shouldn't take more then a few minutes. Do this monthly to keep it clear. Now flush out your hot water lines on ALL fixtures. Now pull each aerator and clean the screens. Be sure you put them back togather the same way you took them out. Don't forget to flush it out every month. Your heater will thank you for it. Good luck, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Sudden loss of hot water pressure in entire house [ 13 Answers ]

Greetings, I have a sudden loss of hot water pressure in entire house (all showers, washing machine, sinks, etc.) Nothing has been touched or replaced. We have a well and our 50 gallon hot water heater is new - installed Sept. 2003. I have been reading this could be 'air pressure' related but...

Sudden loss of water pressure [ 6 Answers ]

A couple of days ago I turned on the water at my kitchen sink and it came out with the usual force, but then about 10 seconds later it slowed down considerably. This continues to happen on both the cold and hot water, but I have not seen this happen at any of the other faucets in the house. ...

Kitchen sink pressure loss [ 9 Answers ]

May there be someone who can help. My kitchen sink faucet has lost pressure and shares water distribution with my dishwasher. Water pressure to the dishwasher is fine, but the faucet is really low. The pressure comes and goes, lately it's just very low. The faucet is combined with the sprayer and...

Loss of pressure for kitchen sink sprayer [ 17 Answers ]

My kitchen sink spray was working all right, plenty of pressure until I had a new faucet installed. The faucet has pressure (as before the change) but when I use the sprayer it goes down to almost a trickle. Before the change the faucet and sprayer had good pressure, now, only the sprayer has...

Sudden hot water pressure loss, seeking advice! [ 1 Answers ]

Our shower recently began to act weird.  One day we had to turn the single control knob much hotter to get the same temp that we did before.  Now, about a month after that, we have to turn the knob even further, and we have lost a lot of our hot water pressure.  The rest of the house seems to have...

View more questions Search