Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Starman Posts: 1,308, Reputation: 135
    -

May 8, 2006, 05:57 PM
    If God were not almighty, would you still worship him?
    I ask this question because I'm interested in the opinions of others.
    I often hear people speaking about God's almightiness in a very admiring way.
    But suppose he were mightier than all other beings but not almighty? Would he still deserve our worship? I'll give my own opinion after some have given theirs. Thanks for the feedback.

Merriam Webster's Dictionary
    Main Entry: 1wor·ship
    Function: noun
    Pronunciation: 'w&r-sh&p
    Etymology: Middle English worshipe worthiness, respect, reverence paid to a

Divine being, from Old English weorthscipe worthiness, respect, from weorth worthy, worth + -scipe -ship
    1 chiefly British : a person of importance -- used as a title for various officials (as magistrates and some mayors)
    2 : reverence offered a divine being or supernatural power ; also : an act of expressing such reverence
    3 : a form of religious practice with its creed and ritual
    4 : extravagant respect or admiration for or devotion to an object of esteem <worship of the dollar>
    Dictionary from Merriam-Webster - AOL Research & Learn
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 8, 2006, 05:59 PM
    It is a sort of non real idea, but yes, since as God, he would have created us, and saved us. So still worthy of worship.
    -

May 8, 2006, 06:03 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck
    It is a sort of non real idea, but yes, since as God, he would have created us, and saved us. So still worthy of worship.

It's a hypothetical I have discussed before with family members and on other forums. So in your view the act of creating the universe alone makes him worthy of being admired and worshipped. Or do you wish to expand on that?
    valinors_sorrow Posts: 2,927, Reputation: 653
    I regard all beings mostly by their consciousness and little else

May 8, 2006, 06:07 PM
    Worship is something of an archaic thing to me. I do not worship the God I know, it is not required since God, omnipotent or not, is beyond any need of admiration and I understand what I am being asked instead of worship. Suffice to say God is greater than me and that is enough for me to pay attention, lol.
    -

May 8, 2006, 08:01 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by valinors_sorrow
    Worship is something of an archaic thing to me. I do not worship the God I know, it is not required since God, omnipotent or not, is beyond any need of admiration and I understand what I am being asked instead of worship. Suffice to say God is greater than me and that is enough for me to pay attention, lol.
    So his being more powerful warrants that we feel respect and pay attention? Why?
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

May 9, 2006, 02:20 AM
    Of course some faith groups have many gods, none of which are "almighty", so from a Christian standpoint,

If God is not almighty, then the Scriptures we have been calling God inspired are no better than fiction and fairy tales.

If this key component of Christianity were shown to be wrong, then this would be akin to finding Christ's tomb with bones in it.

May 9, 2006, 07:29 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Starman
    So his being more powerful warrants that we feel respect and pay attention? Why?
    Ummm, good question. Last I looked, is this not the inherent nature of all living things - to respect someone/thing more powerful than self? Does it not go directly to our very ability to survive? Is it not emulated in the world again and again, in a huge array of manifestations? I tend to take a great deal of my cues from the world at large. I believe it to be the creator's instruction book, conveniently built right in!

Do you have another question?
    milliec Posts: 262, Reputation: 55

May 9, 2006, 07:54 AM
    Hi Starman!
    I like this question. I find it deep and intriguing. I shall try to organize my thoughts so that my answer will make sense.
    The avatar I use is meant to as a reminder of our real proportion compared to reality.
    I think that respect is a greater tribute than worship. In my opinion, respect has to do with appreciation and some understanding, while worship has a less appreciative background. Like parents and kids, when the younger they are ,and more dependent on their parents, they might worship them. But when they grow up, and have developed their own character and view of life, their own mind, they might develop respect for their parents.
    So I hope I respect God, not just because of its way out power compared to us, but also because of my appreciation for the creation, as well as for the laws given to man, in order to guide this creature to a moral life conduct.
    Millie
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

May 9, 2006, 11:17 AM
    Just from the fact I believe the Creator is behind the entire design of the universe and has a master plan is the reason for not worship but the ultimate respect and I'd feel the same if I found out that there was something even greater than the God I understand. I leave the worshipping for the worshippers!:cool: :D
    -

May 9, 2006, 11:51 AM
    Ummm, good question. Last I looked, is this not the inherent nature of all living things - to respect someone/thing more powerful than self? Does it not go directly to our very ability to survive? Is it not emulated in the world again and again, in a huge array of manifestations? I tend to take a great deal of my cues from the world at large. I believe it to be the creator's instruction book, conveniently built right in!

Do you have another question?
    In the predator prey relationship fear predominates. The real question then becomes should fear be the predominating motive for our respect or/and worship.
    -

May 9, 2006, 12:05 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by milliec
    Hi Starman!
    I like this question. i find it deep and intriguing. i shall try to organize my thoughts so that my answer will make sense.
    the avatar i use is meant to as a reminder of our real proportion compared to reality.
    i think that respect is a greater tribute than worship. in my opinion, respect has to do with appreciation and some understanding, while worship has a less appreciative background. like parents and kids, when the younger they are ,and more dependent on their parents, they might worship them. but when they grow up, and have developed their own character and view of life, their own mind, they might develop respect for their parents.
    so i hope i respect God, not just because of its way out power compared to us, but also because of my appreciation for the creation, as well as for the laws given to man, in order to guide this creature to a moral life conduct.
    millie
    I agree that respect is very important and also that it should be a very essential component of worship. Also the respect should be based on the proper foundation. Also, that superior power should take a secondary role in the reason for our respect.

BTW
    Nice avatar--infinity is a good symbol for the concept. The late Carl Sagan make a similar statement about his smallness in relation to the universe. This was after he was diagnosed with a terminal disease. His composure in the face of imminent death greatly impressed me.

Quote Originally Posted by rickj
    Of course some faith groups have many gods, none of which are "almighty", so from a Christian standpoint,

If God is not almighty, then the Scriptures we have been calling God inspired are no better than fiction and fairy tales.

If this key component of Christianity were shown to be wrong, then this would be akin to finding Christ's tomb with bones in it.

Good point!

Perhaps my question is partially based on my conversations with Christians who say that whatever the Lord does is OK with them whenever they are questioned about certain doctrinal beliefs. Though sincere, and meaning well, such an answer comes across as based on fear of thinking due to being intimidated by God's power or what they believe he would do to them with that power if they disagreed.

BTW
    I saw a film starring the actor Banderas as clergyman sent by the to investigate the archeolgical find which some suspected of being christ's remains. While there, Banderas goes to another clergyman for advice and counsel and only manages to weaken the pastor's faith. After a conversation in which Banderas presents what seems like irrefutable evidence, the pastor tells him to wait by the church and he would be right down shortly. Whereupon the pastor goes up to the church belfry leaps. Later Banderas
    States that the remains found were not Christ's.

May 9, 2006, 01:16 PM
    In the predator prey relationship fear predominates. The real question then becomes should fear be the predominating motive for our respect or/and worship.
    Another good question! I am enjoying and hope you are too.

What you speak of here is certainly in the mix, a cosmic version of "I am Your Mother/Father, I Made you so Therefore I Can Take you Out too!" There was a time when we commonly feared God and I can easily admit that if I were to meet God face to face (hearing God is hard enough, lol), there would be some anxiousness on my part.

I consider fear, respect and awedness (worship) as points along the same continuum, all being different aspects of acknowledgement that someone/thing is more powerful. Whether it's a "good" thing or a "bad" thing depends on the "God". Ask the abused child or the citizens of a tyranny about the "bad" versions of fear, respect and awe.

I think for me it is balanced by trust. I not only respect God, as you would call it, I trust God too. I observe to a huge degree that God knows what God is doing, so therefore I trust God - I mean, man, just look at how all this is put together?? Its waaaaaay beyond ingenious!

So respect. . Trust. . And the last thing I would add would be a kind of willingness to learn. In short, God is my spiritual teacher, I am eternally God's student. I listen to God and apply the lessons and I like the results, which then affirms my respect, trust and willingness. And I get that God would rather have results than homage paid, hence the lack of worship.:)

PS - I would probably not qualify as Christian.
    -

May 9, 2006, 01:44 PM
    Another good question! I am enjoying and hope you are too.

What you speak of here is certainly in the mix, a cosmic version of "I am Your Mother/Father, I Made you so Therefore I Can Take you Out too!" There was a time when we commonly feared God and I can easily admit that if I were to meet God face to face (hearing God is hard enough, lol), there would be some anxiousness on my part.

I consider fear, respect and awedness (worship) as points along the same continuum, all being different aspects of acknowledgement that someone/thing is more powerful. Whether its a "good" thing or a "bad" thing depends on the "God". Ask the abused child or the citizens of a tyranny about the "bad" versions of fear, respect and awe.

I think for me it is balanced by trust. I not only respect God, as you would call it, I trust God too. I observe to a huge degree that God knows what God is doing, so therefore I trust God - I mean, man, just look at how all this is put together??? Its waaaaaay beyond ingenious!

So respect . . trust . . and the last thing I would add would be a kind of willingness to learn. In short, God is my spiritual teacher, I am eternally God's student. I listen to God and apply the lessons and I like the results, which then affirms my respect, trust and willingness. And I get that God would rather have results than homage paid, hence the lack of worship.:)

PS - I would probably not qualify as Christian.

The following scripture harmonizes with your response in that it classifies unscriptural fear as incompatible with love for the creator.

1 John 4:18
    There is no fear in love; but perfect love casteth out fear: because fear hath torment. He that feareth is not made perfect in love.

BTW

By unscriptural I mean unreasoning morbid fear of destruction which forces some to live a life of grudging obedience that they wished they didn't have to..

May 9, 2006, 02:20 PM
    :eek: Sorry Starman, I meant I agreed and clicked the wrong part!
    -

May 10, 2006, 04:19 PM
    :eek: Sorry Starman, i meant i agreed and clicked the wrong part!
    That's OK my friend!

BTW

I understand your answere to be that even if God were not almighty, you would still worship him because of his good qualities which have nothing to do with his power. In short, might does not make right as the saying goes and that is applicable to everyone.

My opinion is as yours. What makes God worthy of being worshipped is not his power but that he is loving, just and wise. It's good that he is almighty--of course. But it's far better that his almightiness is accompanied by qualities which prevents the abuse of that power.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

May 10, 2006, 08:25 PM
    That's OK my friend!

BTW

I understand your answere to be that even if God were not almighty, you would still worhip him because of his good qualities which have nothing to do with his power. In short, might does not make right as the saying goes and that is applicable to everyone.

My opinion is as yours. What makes God worthy of being worshipped is not his power but that he is loving, just and wise. It's good that he is almighty--of course. But it's far better that his almightiness is accompanied by qualities which prevents the abuse of that power.
    The only thing is the word worship where I would use respect,but I guess you could say that worship is the ultimate respect..! :cool:
    -

May 10, 2006, 11:39 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by talaniman
    The only thing is the word worship where I would use respect,but I guess you could say that worship is the ultimate respect.........?!!:cool:

That sounds like the right description for worhip-ultimate respect!

BTW

Notice that in Eden it wasn't God's power which was questioned but the rightness of his rule over his creatures.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How should Christians worship God? [ 23 Answers ]

Do you view Christian worship as an activity only for Sunday and maybe a few special holidays? Perhaps as a formal set of actions and prayers repeated during a service in your house of worship? It's interesting that the Bible does not give a strict definition of worship. Although many view it...

View more questions Search