Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tow318 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 8, 2008, 09:22 AM
    Adhesive residue on furniture
    How do I remove tape adhesive residue from my furniture without removing the finish; and what home remedies can I use as well as store products to accomplish this?

Thank you
    MsMewiththat Posts: 854, Reputation: 136

Sep 8, 2008, 09:25 AM
    Check goo gone, but start with a very small test area to be sure that it doesn't discolor your furniture. Like the underside of an arm or leg. Good Luck.
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Sep 9, 2008, 03:28 AM
    Oops! Is also a product that you could try. I have used it to remove rosin residue from a violin with no problems to the finish on the violin.

But, it really would be helpful to know what type of tape residue it is that you have on your furniture in order to advise you the best here. There are a number of varieties of tape and they all can leave different types of residue that might require different methods of removal.

Just plain old soap and water might work, depending on the type of tape that was on the furniture.

Thanks!
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Sep 9, 2008, 04:16 PM
    Mineral spirits. Cheapest, easiest and definitely will not harm lacquer, varnish, poly finishes and I don't think shellac finishes. Furniture not likely to have shellac finish.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Sep 10, 2008, 12:07 PM
    We can add Goof Off to the list too but nothings going to be cheaper or better than mineral spirits. All posts are accurate but Harold is good and cheap, at least according to his wife.
    jjordan7 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 29, 2008, 12:32 PM

Vegetable oil works as well and usually always on hand.
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Nov 30, 2008, 03:43 AM

It still would be helpful to know what type of tape residue it is.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Removing adhesive residue from wood cabinets [ 4 Answers ]

I recently moved, and the movers wrapped plastic tape around many pieces of my furniture to keep drawers from opening, pieces from falling out, etc. It seemed okay at the time, but when the tape was removed, some nasty adhesive residue from the tape was left behind on the wooden furniture,...

How to remove adhesive residue [ 3 Answers ]

How to remove adhesive residue from a sticker on a wooden surface

Onion residue? [ 3 Answers ]

I know that onion is bad for dogs. But what about things that are just flavored with them? For example, I recently made some chicken broth (cook chicken, carrots, celery, onion, and herbs/spices together for a long time, and then strain the liquid), which I have divided up and frozen in serving...

Sooty black residue in tub [ 2 Answers ]

We have recently remodelled the bathroom, keeping the tub but with new hardware. Recently upon filling the tub, spots of a black greasy substance are found floating in the water. It will adhere to body and tub, difficult to clean off. Not evident in other sinks, although the tub is the only...

Residue from duct tape on ceramic tile [ 3 Answers ]

We used some duct tape to hold the tiles in place on a vertical surface, now we need to clean the residue without scratching the glazed surface. I tried using acetone nail polish remover, but it dries too rapidly. Any suggestions?

View more questions Search