Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    RWuest Posts: 50, Reputation: 5

Sep 7, 2008, 06:50 PM
    Is what I am about to do illegal?
    My roommate and I have a dilemma. My current roommate and I have been on the lease since the beginning, and our friend moved in with us, but never got around to getting on the lease, she was afraid her credit was too bad.

In August she lent her rent money to a friend of hers on rent day, and wasn't reimbursed, leaving my other roommate and I to scrounge up the rest last minute. Anyway, she never paid us back, and moved out. It's been over a month and she hasn't picked up her bed, vanity or entertainment center, even though we've given her several deadlines.

We had another person move in and get on the lease to take over her room, and it just sucks that they are paying full price for a room, but they aren't getting all the space because her things are still taking up room!

We want to sell her things for the money that she still owes us. Since it's been in our possession for this long, and she isn't paying to store her things is it illegal to sell those items? I know she is trigger happy when it comes to small claims court...

Thank you for your help!
    CHRISTOPHEROBIN Posts: 50, Reputation: 5

Sep 7, 2008, 07:02 PM
    Im not sure if it is illegal or not.I would think that since she wasn't on the lease, what proof does this person have that they even lived with you.Ipersonally would sell the things because that money was owed to me anyway.Again, I really don't know what can be done legally in this case.I would get a free cosultation from a lawyer.
    theEMOgrlYOUluv Posts: 23, Reputation: 2

Sep 7, 2008, 07:05 PM
    I'm not sure if it is but if you don't ask her then shell call the cops! Because its like stealing! So yea its illegal!
    ConfusedInAK Posts: 184, Reputation: 16

Sep 7, 2008, 07:09 PM
    I do believe the proper way to proceed with selling abandoned items is to post a legal notice in the paper or an announcement of your intention to do so...

We did that with the "abandoned" stuff in our garage which had been left here for 2 years.

If you talk to her again... Have her sign something that says in lieu of cash she agrees to give you her belongings...

Sep 7, 2008, 07:12 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by theEMOgrlYOUluv
    im not sure if it is but if you dont ask her then shell call the cops!! because its like stealing!! so yea its illegal!
    Even if possession is 9/10 of the law?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Sep 7, 2008, 07:33 PM
    Possession is not 9/10 of any law,

The law is the law, period. That is merely a saying people use when they don't want to follow the real law.
    rockinmommy Posts: 1,123, Reputation: 82
    Ultra Member

Sep 7, 2008, 07:49 PM
    From your description of the situation, I believe that she would be a sublesse of yours (and your roommate who IS on the lease). You guys would take the "landlord" role, and she would be the tenant. See the sticky at the top of the forum for a link to your state's LL / tenant laws. There should be laws regarding the proper procedure to follow to sell or dispose of her abandoned belongings.

Typically, you have to give proper notices that you consider the property abandoned and that it is being stored. You have to tell her the procedure for getting it back, which can include paying storage fees. Then after holding if for a specified period you have to give proper notice of your intentions of selling or donating or throwing away the abandoned property, etc. It all varies from state to state, so just as long as you follow those state laws you should be in the clear. It sounds like there's enough evidence that she was your tenant should it ever go to court.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Sep 8, 2008, 05:41 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by CHRISTOPHEROBIN
    Im not sure if it is illegal or not.I would think that since she wasnt on the lease, what proof does this person have that they even lived with you.Ipersonally would sell the things because that money was owed to me anyway.Again, i really dont know what can be done legally in this case.I would get a free cosultation from a lawyer.

You are wrong - either the roommate has to be formally evicted (sort of a waste of time because she's already gone but the presumption is that she could come back because her "stuff" is there) OR she could get legal notice, be given X days to remove her "stuff" OR her "stuff" could be put in storage.

The argument that she can't prove she lived there is both illegal and moot - her "stuff" is there and it didn't get there by itself.
    Uber Member

Sep 8, 2008, 05:42 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by RWuest
    Even if possession is 9/10 of the law?

Where do you find this to be the law?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Sep 8, 2008, 06:14 AM
    What I would recommend is finding a friend with a garage or basement where you can store her stuff. Then send her a notice that, if the stuff is not picked up by x date (I would give 15-30 days), then it will be disposed of. If she still doesn't pick it up, then have a yard sale or something.

An asdie to Christopher and emogirl:

This is a legal board. Therefore our answers need to conform to existing law. Please do not offer your opinion on these boards unless you are sure it is backed up by statute.
    liz28 Posts: 4,662, Reputation: 1034
    Ultra Member

Sep 8, 2008, 07:43 AM
    I would like to add that when you do send her the notice send it certified mail. This way she must sign for it. If anything keep her stuff there at least until the notice expired if you can place it in a garage because it doesn't make sense to pay a storage company. How long have her stuff been there? Do you know where she is staying?
    Uber Member

Sep 8, 2008, 07:54 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by liz28
    I would like to add that when you do send her the notice send it certified mail. This way she must sign for it. If anything keep her stuff there at least until the notice expired if you can place it in a garage because it doesn't make sense to pay a storage company. How long have her stuff been there? Do you know where she is staying?

This is purely a personal choice - certified mail certainly provides proof of delivery but you can also send it regular mail with proof of mailing if you don't think she will sign for it.

Storage facility makes sense if there is no way to safeguard her belongings - such as in a garage. The "landlord" must keep the belongings safe, can't just put them in an unheated, perhaps not locked, space where rodents or insects could have access.
    Uber Member

Sep 8, 2008, 07:54 AM
    [QUOTE=Comments on this post
    LisaB4657 agrees: Yes, definitely send it certified. But also send a copy by regular mail. If she refuses to sign for the certified, but the regular mail is not returned, then a court will assume that the regular mail was delivered.QUOTE]

Right - that's why I suggested the proof of mailing. (Hi Lisa.)
    Ultra Member

Sep 8, 2008, 08:06 AM
    [QUOTE=JudyKayTee]This is purely a personal choice - certified mail certainly provides proof of delivery but you can also send it regular mail with proof of mailing if you don't think she will sign for it.

I give her this advice because I was in a similar situation and was given this advice by someone at small claims court.

Secondly, I gave her advice to keep her things in her house if she don't have a garage to use because storage at stores could be expensive and it's money she would have to put out. She could win it back if she takes her small claims court. Thank you.
    Uber Member

Sep 8, 2008, 08:14 AM
    [QUOTE=liz28]
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyKayTee
    This is purely a personal choice - certified mail certainly provides proof of delivery but you can also send it regular mail with proof of mailing if you don't think she will sign for it.

I give her this advice because I was in a similar situation and was given this advice by someone at small claims court.

Secondly, I gave her advice to keep her things in her house if she don't have a garage to use because storage at stores could be expensive and it's money she would have to put out. She could win it back if she takes her small claims court. Thank you.

You said to keep it in the garage: "If anything keep her stuff there at least until the notice expired if you can place it in a garage because it doesn't make sense to pay a storage company." I don't see anything about keeping it in the house.

That's why I addressed the garage storage.

You're welcome.
    Ultra Member

Sep 8, 2008, 08:32 AM
    First, I not going start an debate with you. If you read all the posts on first page would see Scottgem recommended that she placed the friend belonging in someone basement or garage because the op stated it unfai the new roommate is paying her share of the rent but can't bring in her own belongings. This means the stuff needs to be gone asap. I agree with Scottgem and was only stating this would be easier to do instead of paying a storage company. Now if she don't have somewhere to placed her things of course the stuf could stay. The expired notice apply to after the deadline she give to he friend. Again, thank you.

Sep 8, 2008, 11:06 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyKayTee
    Where do you find this to be the law?
    Actually, I don't. But when my other roommate asked her mother she said that since possession is 9/10 of the law, the girl can't even legally come into our apartment and take her things back.
    Uber Member

Sep 8, 2008, 11:10 AM
    Actually, I don't. But when my other roommate asked her mother she said that since possession is 9/10 of the law, the girl can't even legally come into our apartment and take her things back.

FShe lied to you - but I wouldn't worry. It's an old wife's tale that a LOT of people believe. She probably believes it, too, and thought she was giving you solid legal advice.

But now you know!:)
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Sep 8, 2008, 11:10 AM
    Actually, whoever gave you that advice is wrong. If she can prove that she lived there and that she has possessions there, she has every right to enter the premises to retrieve those possessions. If she showed up and was locked out, she could call the police who would probably help her get int to get her possessions.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Is this illegal? [ 2 Answers ]

Well its march and I'm 14 and he is 17 but turning 18 in June and I don't turn 15 until February. We both like each other a lot! He treats me so well. He would never try to do anything, like sexual. I have asked him many times if he would ever try anything and he said no cause I'm too young. But...

Which should be illegal [ 10 Answers ]

Since I have joined this wonderful site, I got to read all sorts of advice and opinions. I enjoy reading other people's points of views. I am interasted in hearing more. Now I have a couple of questions. After thinking about each one carefully, please explain between the two why one should be...

Is this Illegal? [ 3 Answers ]

I had a loan with a company for about 4 years. The loan has completely destroyed my credit due to numerous amounts of deliquencies on my report (younger days). Anyway, I am in the process of purchasing my first home and am working with a Mortgage Broker. My Broker told me to pay the loan...

Illegal? [ 3 Answers ]

Okay. So I am 15 years old. And I have been dating this guy for two months now. Hes 18. A few people have told me that this is illegal. But others say it is not. Im just confused and would like to know if it is or not. Also do any of you know if it is possible for me to move out without concent...

View more questions Search