Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lamarowandam Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 7, 2008, 02:07 PM
    Crown lengthening
    How much does crown lengthening cost and does the procedure hurt?
    flossie Posts: 1,903, Reputation: 181
    Ultra Member

Sep 7, 2008, 05:40 PM
    Fees are different in every state and country. I'd suggest you get an estimate from your dentist and if you feel his/her fee is high then get a couple more estimates from dentists your friends see.
    As for the procedure hurting, I've personally never had crown lengthening done but I have seen many patients who have. I don't recall any of them mentioning any discomfort/pain but everyone has a different pain threshold. You would be well frozen before the procedure is done and I'm sure some Advil or at worse Tylenol 3's is all you'd need for a day or two after.
    DoulaLC Posts: 10,488, Reputation: 1952
    Uber Member

Sep 8, 2008, 02:49 AM
    Had it done last summer... You can be given a mild sedative to where you are awake, you know what it going on and can communicate with the doctor, but you really don't remember much after the procedure. The thought of the procedure is far worse than having it done. While not something I would sign up for... I wouldn't be overly concerned if I had to do it again... :)
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Sep 8, 2008, 04:35 AM
    The procedure itself no because there are little or no nerves in the jaw bone. Recovery aches. The ice pack procedure for recovery is very important.

FWIW. Opening the skin on the jaw bone, drilling a big hole and inserting a self-tapping screw for an implant hurts less. In this case the tapping hurts the most.

FWIW: Crown lengthening = jaw bone lowering
    Amir1981 Posts: 246, Reputation: 6

Sep 15, 2008, 06:45 PM
    Get an estimate... yeah it will be sore for a few days

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Crown Lengthening [ 4 Answers ]

I have had crowns on my two front teeth for all of my adult life due to falling and breaking them. Recently one crown and tooth broke off at the gum line. Over the years (I am 56) my teeth had shifted and I had a small gap between my 2 front teeth that I hated. My dentist suggested making 4...

Crown Lengthening [ 2 Answers ]

I'm under a new dental plan that does not cover crown lengthening. I've had a couple of crowns replaced and a couple of new ones by a new dentist under the new plan. For each I was charged a $750 fee for "Crown lengthening". I'd never heard of it before and I'm not sure I got a good explanation...

Crown lengthening [ 3 Answers ]

I was told be a periodontist that I needed crown lengthening to save my molar. This is a $1400 procedure. Has anyone ever had this done? Also do you still need to get a root canal once the crown lengthening is performed or do you just go back for the crown? Because $1400 is a lot of money...

View more questions Search