Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Srecak Posts: 11, Reputation: 1

May 8, 2006, 12:06 AM
    Excel: 2 criteria - 1 answer
    GMorning Ladies/Gentlemen!

Here's a small question:
    Is it possible to have two criteria which are filled in by a user, and in a third box an answer appears? I have put an example attached in zip format.

Many thanks,
    Srecak
    Attached Files
  1. File Type: zip Excell - 2 criteria.zip (2.3 KB, 121 views)
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

May 8, 2006, 02:56 AM
    Yes, it is possible. I friend made one for me, attached. I'm sorry to say that I don't know how he did it, but if no one posts exact instructions here, you can look at the cells and see how it works.
    Attached Files
  3. File Type: zip starsXYZ.zip (6.4 KB, 191 views)
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

May 8, 2006, 06:09 AM
    The sheet Rick attached basically use formuals to make the clacs.

The way Excel works, if you can create calculations that use entries in other cells, just by referencing the cell location: I.E. = A1+B1
    Put that formula in C1 and it will display the sum of A1 and B1.

If you need a further explanation plese post more details.

May 8, 2006, 06:21 AM
    Sorry Guys, but that's not quiet what I want... not calculations but retrieval, based on two criteria... weight (between 0.5 - 3.0 kg) and zone (1 to 8). The centre parts top line shows the basis price and each different weight an additional cost to this 1st price.
    So if in criteria 1, I put 3.7kg and criteria 2, I put 4 as a zone, I should get a retrieval value/price of: 3.7kg goes under 3.0-5.0kg and zone 4 is 10.00 euros, plus the basic price for zone 4 being 55.00 euros adds up to 65.00 euros!
    Hope this makes it easier to understand?

Srecak
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

May 8, 2006, 06:25 AM
    Sorry. Yes, I did misunderstand. Hang tight, there are several Excel gurus hanging out here. ;)
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

May 8, 2006, 06:44 AM
    Look up Microsoft Query in Excel Help. You can use that to perform such queries.
    LTheobald Posts: 1,051, Reputation: 127
    Ultra Member

May 8, 2006, 07:05 AM
    VLookup & HLookup might be handy here. If you don't have an example when I get home - I'll write one for you.

May 16, 2006, 10:05 AM
    LTheobald,
    Sorry for the late reply!
    An example would be great!

Many thanks
    Srecak
    cajalat Posts: 469, Reputation: 66

May 16, 2006, 04:28 PM
    I couldn't figure out how to do it using HLOOKUP and VLOOKUP (doesn't mean it can't be done) but I came up with a different way using the functions INDEX and COUNTIF. I did have to make a modification to the range where you lookup the values as I don't believe EXEL has a way of interpreting the values in the cells (at least not easily). I basically broke the values into two columns. Your table also lists ranges with gaps in them. i.e. 2.6kg doesn't exactly fall between 0.5-2.5 or 3.0-5.0 so I broke out that range and made the assumption that if the value is less <3.0 but greater than 0.5 then it is assumed that it is in the range of 0.5-2.5 so anything less than 3.0 kg but greater or equal to 0.5 will get the rate of 0.5-2.5. Confusing but take a look at the attached.

Casey
    Attached Files
  5. File Type: zip CrazyExcel.zip (3.0 KB, 203 views)

May 18, 2006, 12:20 AM
    Cajalat!

You have saved my bacon! This works brilliantly!
    Many thanks,
    Srecak

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Need a answer please [ 3 Answers ]

I recently inherrited 6 etchings all 4" x 6" of woman wearing different hats maybe Paris or Europe woman . Just from their chest up. The woman look like they are from the 1920's or 30's on the back of each one is a silver seal saying genuine etching , Paris Etching Society the front a c in a...

Counting Cells If several criteria are true [ 1 Answers ]

Another question. I'd like to count the number of cells in column C that have "incorrect" in them, if the corresponding cells in column A have "people" in it, and column B has "intact" in it. So if A = people and B = intact, count all C that = incorrect. Thanks!

Several Criteria Classification on Excel [ 7 Answers ]

Quick question... I'd like to do the following: If the value in Column A is between 1-50 or 200-250 or 400-450, or 600-650 etc etc I want it to be classified as "people" in Column B. If it does not fall in those number ranges, I want it to be classified as "monkey" in Column B. This seems...

I have the answer! [ 8 Answers ]

Hello, a little while ago I asked a desperate question about my GSD, Jack. Well I got talking to a dog trainer and she recommended me the electric shock collar. Well Jack has had one on ever since and he is fabulous. I had to use it quite severely at first, he probably got one every hour or so...

I Need An Answer Please! [ 5 Answers ]

I need an answer When ever me and my b/f are together he sometimes checks out other chicks I do sometimes but when he does it I feel insecure like he wants to be with a hotter chick than w/ me and its probably I'm jealous and I hate it because I check out other chicks to and he isn't like...

View more questions Search