Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rtillmon Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 7, 2008, 07:34 AM
    Frequent problems with toilet flushing. BUBBLES TOO!
    I just moved into a home and have noticed a problem with the one and only toilet in the home (single story, crawlspace foundation). The toilet tends to need help flushing. There are occasions where it works fine, but more often than not, the water (and the contents you just left in the bowl) just rise to the top. After some pretty aggressive plunging, it will slowly go down. Here's a few things that I have noticed along the way:

-When you plunge the toilet, it sends air through the sink and tub in the bathroom as well.
    -I turned on all the faucets in the house simultaneously which results in bubbles coming up through the toilet.
    -I just had a plumber snake the drain 3 days ago. Problem went away for a day and a half and has now returned.
    -I purchased a toilet snake to confirm that the pathway through the toilet was clear.

Any ideas??
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Sep 7, 2008, 08:51 AM
    You or the plumber need to rod the vent stack. Rod from the rooof to the crawl and then 20' more.
    rtillmon Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 7, 2008, 09:17 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ballengerb1
    You or the plumber need to rod the vent stack. Rod from the rooof to the crawl and then 20' more.
    I was thinking that something like that could be the issue. Another "interesting find" regarding this issue: If I turn on all of the faucets in the house, the toilet will bubble like crazy... then I'm good for a flush or two before the problem returns. I'm no plumber but I did pass physics :) and it totally sounds like an airflow issue.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Sep 7, 2008, 01:20 PM
    "airflow issue" yep, that's what a vent stack handles. Put your thumb over a pop bottle and turn upside dow, take awy your thumb andthats how you toilets would work without a vent stack. Its just like putting your thumb over a pipette in those old physics classes, the water won't drain until you remove your thumb.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Toilet Flushing: tank drains, toilet doesn't flush, brand new toilet. [ 4 Answers ]

I read the other postings, and most of the problems came in with old toilets. Mine is brand new (within a year old) and I just moved in to my new place. The condo has 2 identical toilets and the other flushes just fine. I have mimicked the settings of the working toilet and still can't get my...

Still having problems with basement toilet flushing. [ 5 Answers ]

I wrote a couple of weeks ago concerned with how my lousy plumber was going to reinstall the piping from the ejector pump to sewage line. He originally did not follow manufacturer's install instructions that said check valve couldn't be in vertical position. Half the time the toilet will not flush....

Toilet Flushing Problems [ 3 Answers ]

We have two toilets back to back. One works without any difficulty. The other however has been giving us some problems for awhile. It will flush, but the water doesn't go down all the way sometimes. If you put more water in the seat while it is flushing it goes down every time. I cleaned the...

Toilet rises and bubbles when another toilet is flushed during heavy rain [ 1 Answers ]

Toilet rises, bubbles and partially empties itself when another toilet is flushed. The water drains fine from the flushed toilet. House is ranch stlyle on a slab and connected to a public sewer system. The toilets are not back to back, but about 10 feet apart in two separate rooms We had heavy...

Basement toilet bubbles when upstairs toilet is flushed and washer drains. [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, Just recently (last few days) my toilet in the basement bathroom has begun to bubble. This is caused when one of the upstairs toilets (directly above it) flushes but not another one upstairs. It also bubbles quite rapidly when the clothes washer drains. The washer is located in the...

View more questions Search