Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    iratenurse2 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Sep 7, 2008, 04:47 AM
    Rattling Pipes
    After we flush our downstairs commode the pipes rattle. What causes this and how can we fix it?
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Sep 7, 2008, 05:05 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by iratenurse2
    After we flush our downstairs commode the pipes rattle. What causes this and how can we fix it?
    Please explain a little more in detail. Describe the sound. Is it a deeper sound such as you would hear from the drain as the discharge goes down? This would point toward the drainage. Is is a rattling sound like a water pipe that's not strapped securely? Let me know, Tom

Sep 8, 2008, 06:55 PM
    It is a loud vibrating noise that sounds like something is loose. When it happens we go up stairs and turn the shower on the bathroom sink faucet on to get the noise to stop. The other water running lessen the rattling and sometimes stops. Someone told me that we have an air bubble in the line. Could this be true?
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Sep 8, 2008, 07:29 PM
    You are more likely to have doctors changing bed pans than having air in your lines. You have a loose washer, either in the toilet fill valve or the stop valve under the toilet tank. I'm going to say it's the stop valve. You can remove the stem and tighten the washer but you are probably better off replacing the valve. Turn the water to the house off. Remove the supply tube that goes up to the toilet tank. Put one wrench on the body of the valve and another on the nut around the pipe. Unscrew the nut, pull the valve off, put new valve on and tighten the nut. You won't be using the nut and brass ring that came with the new valve.
    Attached Images

Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Sep 8, 2008, 07:47 PM
    Open the toilet water supply valve (angle stop) all the way...

Sep 11, 2008, 03:36 PM
    Thank you that fixed it.;) :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Rattling pipes [ 12 Answers ]

I live in a split foyer house built in mid 80's. I have had a problem with pipes rattling every since I moved there 7 years ago. The problem has worsened and now the pipes rattle all the time even when you are not using the water. Can you tell me what causes this and how to fix it?

Rattling in the house when AC is on [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, hoping someone could help me with this. When I turn my AC on upstairs (3 level house), I hear a low to moderate rattling noise upstairs. When I checked out the furnace room in the basement, I could also hear a similar rattling noise in the ceiling where the vents are. There's no noise from the...

Carrier furnace, Rattling fan [ 3 Answers ]

I have a Carrier 8000TS with WeatherMaker furnace. It puts out enough heat and keeps up with thermostat control however while it is blowing heat there is a very loud clicking sound coming from inside the furnace. It sounds like someone is putting a stick in a rotating fan so I opened up the access...

Rattling cold tap [ 3 Answers ]

We recently fitted new taps to the sink and bathroom. The cold tap in the sink occasionally makes a loud noise and rattles when turned on a little way. Turn it further and the rattling stops. It doesn`t happen every time. What can it be?

Rattling refrigerator [ 1 Answers ]

Can anyone tell me what could be the cause of the absolutely unhingingly annoying rattling/squealing sound eminating from the back of my refrigerator. It is a frigidaire gallery about 5 or 6 years old. I have asked my landlord to look at it but he says its normal. I think its normal for him to...

View more questions Search